Monday, February 8, 2016

Update



Yesterday while working my community service hours at the Goodwill Outlet, I missed three calls from a restricted number usually associated with my agents calling for me. I started a recent post similarly, but this will end contrarily. This time instead of getting an angry call later on from an agent with something to prove, this agent simply came inside to talk to me, and never brought up the missed calls, which I didn’t even notice until well after she had gone. What a difference.

Of course while she was there I asked her the status of my “lockdown” which she said would probably last another week if I didn’t hear otherwise by today, which I have not. There is no point in arguing or trying to get one agent to controvert another so I just nodded and agreed with everything she said. Keeping my mouth shut has actually never brought me any trouble, quite unlike the opposite.

She awkwardly handed me a plastic container which holds a cup for urinalyses and I took care of business. I didn’t want to make things obvious so when I was finished I put the cup in my pocket and left the bathroom, went through the sales floor and out the front door to meet the agent who was now waiting for me in her car. I’ve never been in a situation that probably looked more like a drug deal than that, and I’ve done a lot of drug deals! I walked across the street after eyeing both ways for traffic, then slowly pulled my pee out of me pocket and put it in the car through the window so she could see the results on the side of the cup. Satisfied with the outcome, she said I could dispose of it. So I slyly slid the container back in my pocket, did an about face, and said, “Good day”.

The rest of the day was about as humdrum as a day can be. I watched an entire season of Airline Disasters which made me never want to fly again. It reminded me of a little sort of prayer that I say before takeoff on any flight that is bringing me to a vacation. Maybe it’s not a prayer, but I ask god to please make sure that if I have to be in a plane crash, let’s take it down after the vacation is over. Because, really, what am I going back to? Work? Yep, that’s about it.

And then suddenly, just as fast as the weekend came, it was over and I woke up to a Monday. Today is February 8th. Five months since my release. One month until my freedom really opens up. I remember a year ago writing something quite similar about being a month away from boot camp. I recall that at this point, a month out, I was no longer afraid of running, not knowing the aerobics tape, or getting yelled at. I was excited to get to a new place that wasn’t Moose Lake, and ready to take a huge step in turning my life around. I was still out in the garments building sewing crotch flaps to brief bodies, yep, I’ll never forget that. I was a little nervous that something stupid might prevent me from getting there or through it successfully. A fight, high blood pressure, or even a quarrel with a grumpy C.O. could have meant another 21 months in prison for me. Everything aligned properly for me, mostly because of the choices I made, and the inclination I had to be humble.

That’s why I’m not distressing about this restriction, or lockdown, or whatever you want to call it. I’m not in prison. I don’t want to go back on a technicality. So I just let it all slide off. It’s all I can do.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...