Thursday, February 11, 2016

Did That Just Happen?



It must have been 1996, ’97 at the latest. I know I was out of school, and I was living with half a dozen people or so at my friend’s house on Selby Ave. in St. Paul. I loved weed, drank occasionally, and had recently advanced from snorting cocaine to smoking crack, a truly life changing transformation. I had also recently started growing my own pot in the vacant upstairs bedroom and a closet in my bedroom. This was going to be a fairly large operation, at least it was in my head. I had everything I needed to start up: A 1,000-watt Metal-Halide light and fixture complete with a stolen, rigged up ballast; Several clones of the best weed in the city at the time; dirt, minerals, nitrogen, etc.… Blah, blah, blah. I was ready to go.

If you aren’t sure how bright a 1,000 watt H.I.D. (High Intensity Discharge) bulb is, go stare at the sun and then don’t change anything. It’s that bright. So bright in fact that I had to remove the hood because it acted like a focused flashlight beam and scorched the plants quite badly on the first round. Oops. I wasn’t a very responsible man back then. In fact, one could discuss that I was quite negligent, careless, rash, irresponsible, and so much more. Instead of blocking off all of the windows with cardboard and duct tape, a pushed a mattress up against the street facing window and left it at that. Even I could see the light through the window in the middle of the day, I just didn’t care. Oops.

So every other day or so I would take a break from scamming my way into a crack rock and eat. I don’t mean like have a real meal of food, I would usually just go to Dairy Queen and get a blizzard. Crackheads love sugar. One particular beautiful Summer day I was walking back home with my “frozen” treat and it was so nice out I decided to finish it up before I went back inside so I sat down on a tattered old black leather couch that had been through years of weather on the front porch. It was delicious as always. I’ve always been a peanut butter fan so I get Butterfinger and peanut butter cups. I also tell them to make sure I get full amounts of each and I’ll pay extra or they think I just want a mix that would equal one regular portion, like I’m some kind of idiot. Anyhow, I stood up and realized that I had forgotten my key so I knocked. The door opened up, and a strange man with a mustache stood there. He gave me a shitty smile and directed my attention to the gold badge on his belt. I exclaimed, “Oh, shit”. He continued to grin.

There was no point in running, they already had what they came for or they would shortly, and my driver’s license said I lived there, so I went inside where I saw all of my roommates sitting around with muted expressions. There were three officers inside. They said they were part of a special task force and that they were just there to do a knock-and-talk. Well, I don’t remember hearing a knock, but I remained silent. They wanted me to unlock the door upstairs with the sunlight pouring out from underneath the door and I stupidly said it just opened up to the outside and he would risk injury going through. Actually, they thought that was kind of funny, but they insisted I proceed upstairs with them.

We stood at the threshold, key in my hand, and I unlocked it and opened up. I said it was a bad idea to go inside with the light on and they came up with the brilliant idea to, well, turn it off. I accommodated. Inside were my ladies, all about four weeks into the flowering stage. They were starting to have a very strong smell, the buds were growing closer together to form the huge donkey-dick like buds you see on T.V., and even a hair or two were starting to turn from white to pinkish red. They would be ready in under three weeks. Most were about four feet tall and had to be supported by wire tomato holder-upper things. And they were destined for greatness, which is why it hurt to see what happened next…. To be continued...

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...