Thursday, February 25, 2016

Mixed Tape 3



At least I can see outside from where I’m typing. All day at work I could only see outside whenever trucks would back in and we would open up the bay door. Sunshine! Oh, it was beautiful. I got to work at six this morning so when I got off at 2:30pm, the sun was still high, and I took a little more time getting home than I do when it’s rush hour and I just want to get the drive over with.

I had the windows down, my arm hanging out, and on to the radio came the song that I seem to hear every year, save for last, around the time spring is in the air. Dancing in the Street by Van Halen really set the mood for the drive home. I’ve been thinking about doing a mixed tape for you people because I haven’t done one since I was in prison and I didn’t have a radio, and with the advent of YouTube, I can link you to cool live songs, too. So, here goes.

First up, David Gilmour’s rendition of a song written by Roger Waters while they were in a band together about the very man Gilmour replaced, Syd Barret. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is a long song, and this doesn’t even include the second part, but it’s the best version I’ve ever heard and I’ve been a Floyd fan for over 20 years. (Not as long as they’ve been apart) Part 2 if you’re interested. It’s at a different concert, but great in its own way. I would give up at least one of my testicles to see David before he dies.

This woman can just flat out sing. I’m sure her songs are on pop radio stations all the time, but I wouldn’t know because that’s not what I tune to. I found this by accident the other day and you should hear it if you haven’t yet. Sia reminds me of Janice Joplin, yeah, I said it. I mean her voice, not the style of music, although this probably wouldn’t be too far from what she would be playing if she were still around. So, enjoy: Reaper.

Next up, another dead legend. Like many, I never cared for Nirvana until I was a little older. Now every time I hear Plateau I find myself wishing I could have seen him in concert like so many that passed away before their time.

And speaking of dead singers, Bradley Nowell recently celebrated another birthday that he wasn’t around our world for. Who doesn’t like to be caressed down every now and then? Classic Sublime.

Since we’re on to songs with dirty lyrics, who remembers where they were when they heard their first Tenacious D song? Wait, you’ve never heard of them. Well, that’s probably true for half of you. After you hear this song you probably won’t look them up, but I think it’s a classic. Grandma, don’t push this link.

Very few people have ever heard of John Fartham. I know I hadn’t until I saw the movie Hot Rod, a movie you should all see. You're the Voice comes on in the middle of the movie and a riot ensues and there’s looting and I’m not going to give any more away. It’s a funny movie, and a decent song and I sing it to myself at random at least once a month.

Okay, that’s a lot of clicking and you’re probably losing interest, so I will leave you with one last song. I thought I would close the loop, and share with you the absolute worst music video I have ever come across. Ironically, it’s another version of Dancing in the Street, only this time sung by even more famous people. I swear, just when I think they’re gonna kiss, they just break apart and start “singing” again. So, without further ado, D in the C, again.



















2 





                                                        !

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...