Friday, February 12, 2016

Did That Just Happen? Part Deux



I had spent considerable time over the last two months caring for these plants. For a month, they grew from inch-high babies, to foot-tall teenagers, which is when they were ready for the flowering stage. I brought them out of 24-hour fluorescent light into the big room for 12 hours of light, and 12 of darkness. That is how you trigger the marijuana plant to produce its potent buds. I spent hours a day in the room looking after them. Checking them over, looking for bugs or any signs of strain, but they were perfect. I had many friends that grew before me for years and I learned from them. I was all set up to be a fairly good size producer, at least large enough to keep all of my friends happy.

The plan was to crop 20-30 plants every six to seven weeks, which would be pretty easy with the strain I had been blessed with. We called it simply, Magic. And I think its name was derived from the feeling it gave us when we smoked it, looking back I can see the smiles on our faces every time it was in the room, it was magical. There just wasn’t any better weed around back then.

So on that beautiful Summer day with myself and three of St. Paul’s finest in the room, it all went away. Of course they wanted effect, so they made me rip them all out by the roots which made a huge mess in the room, then put them in giant black plastic garbage bags and carry them down to the undercover vehicle. That process took a little under an hour. They said they were done in that room and we closed the door. I decided not to mention that they left 30 living clones and all of my light fixtures alone.

They then told me that they wanted to search the rest of the boudoirs. No big deal I thought, but I had thought too soon. We started in my room, they wanted me to watch so I couldn’t claim later on that they planted anything. They looked high and low through my disaster of a bedroom but found nothing until they made me lift up my mattress. Underneath we all saw at the same time a large mirror covered in cocaine residue and a variety of bits and pieces of crack pipes. I thought I was fucked but the main officer man just pointed at them and said, “Those would be a lot of felonies.” And he lowered the mattress down. Uhhhh, ok. We proceeded downstairs as the rest of the rooms had been searched with their respective owners. Now it was time to check for warrants. I knew I was clean because I had just taken care of my warrants a few weeks previous, but one of my roommates did and the officers, again, said something quite peculiar… “Ma’am you should go get those taken care of as soon as possible.” And that was the end of that part.

One last look around and one of them disappeared into the basement and came back up and stated there was a fire hazard downstairs and that they would be sending a fire inspector back in a week to make sure it was cleaned up. And then, without so much as another word, they all left. They just left. Did that just happen? How in the fuck am I not in handcuffs? It didn’t make any sense, but I wasn’t going to run out and ask them.

We all sat in stunned silence for a while. Then we all decided who would help clean the basement and who would move out. I was the only one beside the owner of the house that helped clean, so I stayed on as a resident. Shortly after that incident, I met a girl that would become my girlfriend for about two years which were some terrible, drunken years.  The fire inspector never came, and we never again heard from the officers. I decided it best to halt my growing operation and distribute my clones and lights to friends that could use them without fear. I would never grow weed again.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...