Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Tick Tock



2/16/16 5:49 pm There are seven days, six hours, and eleven minutes remaining on my lock down. I sort of just spaced out, staring at that last sentence for a little while. This is another one of those times where I really don’t have anything to write about, but it’s been two days and I need to feed you people or you get angry with me and send me horrible letters. I mean, that’s not true in any way, but I think it helps motivate me.

I’ve been switching back and forth between watching T.V. shows and movies on Netflix with a lot of my time. That hasn’t quite gotten old yet, but it will soon. Tonight I actually made plans to start reading my book again. It’s astounding how much more alluring reading was when I was in prison. I’m really glad I didn’t have a T.V. in there because surely I would never have left my cell.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that I don’t drink? I’ve worked with the same people for nearly five months. I’ve told them my story, they’ve seen my agents come in and drug test me, give me breathalyzers and whatnot. And yesterday as I’m having a normal conversation with one of them, she says, “You can still drink, right?” Yep, and I can smoke crack, too. Then they ask when I can start drinking again, and I just don’t feel like explaining it all to them again, so I say 2018, and that usually shuts them up. Somebody that knows I’m on I.S.R. offered to get me high at the Goodwill the other day. Fuck, they’re coming out of the woodwork. It’s kind of funny, but when people do that stuff, it actually makes me not want to get spaced-out and tanked-up even more.

The horrible thing about being on this restriction is still not being able to go hang out with sober people after meetings. You would think that the agents would want us out there making forward progress in recovery, but I think this is much like the treatment program at C.I.P. They only care that you answer their questions correctly so that they can check the box. So I go to my one-hour meeting, get my card signed, and go home. That’s what they want, that’s what they get. They have no clue what it really takes for a real, die-hard drug addict to stay clean. I assure you that it isn’t sitting at home, and only sitting at home. In fact, you’ll find more often than not, boredom can be quite the trigger.

10:41pm I just finished a movie called Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightley. It was really good, and like many other things that happen in this world, it really got me thinking. I liked how the movie was pretty honest about a few things. For example, at one point somebody showed up at in a room with a bag full of heroin and nearly everybody in the room got high. These aren’t drug addicts, just people experimenting in an end of the world scenario. Oh, that’s what the movie is about. It’s a love story overall, but it’s pretty funny throughout.

What would you do with your life if you knew the world was going to end in 21 days? Would you keep your job and drone on in hopes for the best? Would you try heroin? Would you find the girl that got away and try to relight a flame, or possibly just murder her because there are no longer enforcers of the law? I have no idea what I would do. In fact, I would prefer that if a bolide were heading our way with plans of complete obliteration, I didn’t know in advance. Has this post helped anybody in any way? I feel like it was about nothing, and even though I like that every now and then, I still worry. Oh fuck am I rambling?
Seven days, one hour, and six minutes until the end of the wor….. my restriction. I can’t wait to get out!

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...