Saturday, January 21, 2017

Background


It took eight days for Amazon to notify me that they were starting to do my background check, and two more to tell me that they discovered a felony from 2013 that they needed more information about. Here’s how the conversation went:

Vincent,

 

While conducting your pre-employment background check, our vendor Accurate Background discovered the below case(s). A criminal record will not necessarily disqualify you from consideration for employment. The Company follows applicable law. In order for us to determine your eligibility for employment, we need additional information from you. This is an opportunity to be forthcoming and honest and to provide additional information in conjunction with the background check.

 

To be respectful, your responses will be maintained in a confidential file that will be made available only to those on a need-to-know basis. If you are hired, your response will not be maintained in your regular personnel file.

 

Please acknowledge receipt of this email as soon as possible, but no later than Tuesday, January 24, 2017. If you are unable to complete the below within one week of receipt of this email, please provide an explanation for the delay and an expected completion date. If you do not have all the information requested, please provide what you have readily available, and then let us know when, and if, you can complete the remaining items. Your timely response will help us in our review process.

 

If we do not receive a response on or before the due date, your background check will be deemed closed, and you will no longer be eligible for consideration of employment with Amazon.

 

Case Details:

-           Location: Olmsted County, MN / Case Number: 55-CR-13-8208 / Offense Description: Drugs - Possess 6 Grams Or More Cocaine/Heroin/Meth - 2nd Degree (Felony – Guilty) / Filing date: 12/20/2013

Information Requested:

 

1.       Describe the facts surrounding each case (things to include: what happened, who was involved, how did the police or courts get involved).

 

2.       Do you have any court documentation or a police report regarding the above listed offense(s)?

a.        If yes, please scan and email to ………..or fax to …………

b.       If no, please contact the applicable court and obtain copies of the entire case file. These documents should include a police report explaining the circumstances of the offense or conduct.

 

3.       If applicable, provide documentation of rehabilitation efforts post-offense (examples: education, training, community involvement, recovery from substance abuse, etc.).

 

4.       Provide any additional information you would like us to consider when determining your eligibility for employment.

Yikes, that’s a lot of personal information, and the first sentence appears to be a fragment, but I’m pretty open about my past and my criminal history, so here’s how I replied:

Yes, I was arrested for, charged with, and convicted of, the felony you discovered while completing the background check. This should not have come as a surprise, as I explained it on my application, but I am happy to comply with your further instruction. I need a little time to come up with the paperwork, but I can fill in some of the blanks in the meantime.

 

On 12/20/2013 I was arrested in a hotel room in Rochester with an acquaintance, with math. I was in a downward spiral of life that had been spinning wildly out of control for years, and truthfully, that arrest was a blessing.

 

I ended up going to prison from 7-7-14 through 9-8-15. During the last six months, I was part of the Challenge Incarceration Program. Cup is an intense, boot-camp style treatment program during which I had the opportunity to start my life anew. 

 

My life now is filled with happiness, family, and a network of sober friends that keep me going. I am active in recovery, attend weekly meetings, and work with a sponsor in a 12 step program. It’s not always easy, but it is worth the effort I put in. You are free to contact my current employers, and my family, and even my parole officer for any referents you may need. You will never have a better employee than me.

 

I will send a full copy of the police report and disposition when it becomes available to me. If it takes longer than a week, I will update you.

 

Thank you for your consideration,

 

Vincent Maertz

As you can see, ducking auto-correct changed a couple of my words around and I sent the email out without proofreading first; a rookie mistake. But, no worries, they replied with an appreciative tone, and gave me some time to come up with all of the other information. I’m not exactly sure how to secure a copy of the police report, but that’s why I’m essentially doing a copy-and-paste post here. I need to start making some calls, and doing a little leg-work to get all pertinent information to Amazon to get this ball rolling.
Peace!

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...