Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Encores


It’s 4:42am and I’m wide awake. Actually I’ve been awake since 2:30, tossing and turning, alternating between watching YouTube videos and pretending to sleep. I have a lot on my mind.

A little over twenty-four hours ago, I had to confront my roommate for the third time in as many weeks about drinking. I had my suspicions throughout the night—and honestly, the night before—that he was acting a little weird, and took frequent trips to his room even with a guest over. My suspicions were confirmed when he came home later and I happened to be coming out of the bathroom which happens to be upstairs next to his bedroom, and we crossed paths. I could smell the beer on his breath.

A range of emotion flooded my thoughts, and I knew that nothing good could come of letting this slide. Last time I caught him, I had the landlord come explain—again—in great detail that, although this is not a “sober house,” this is a sober living environment. This means there isn’t any drinking or using drugs on or off the premises. The threat of not having a place to live seemed to do the trick, but that was just a few days before I went to California, and I was a little worried about him being home alone for Christmas. But my apprehension eased into relief when he picked me up from the airport and told me about his family holiday celebration. We had a good chat that night, and we talked about his new job at the Xcel Center, which he got with very little help from me, and he seemed excited for a new challenge.

But then something must have happened. I’m not entirely sure when, how, or where, but he picked up the bottle again to cure some internal misery that just won’t go away. I didn’t write that sentence specifically because of something he said; it’s standard among us alcoholics.

I’ve walked in those shoes countless times, which is probably why I don’t appear upset or angry with him. He’s my closest friend, which does make me wonder if there’s anything else I could or should have done to prevent this from happening, but the sick reality is, I have no control over other people, and if he wants to drink, he will.

A little over twenty-four hours ago, I had to drive my roommate to Ramsey County detox for the second time in three weeks. We were buzzed through the first two sets of doors which opened up to the austere genuineness of an institution. All of the art on the walls covered the same splatter-resistant, hospital-white that covered every wall in Moose Lake prison, and his only complaint upon arriving was that he would have to suffer through the dreadful food, along with the night sweats and D.T.s.

So, what next? Well, the landlord and I talked and both agreed that he’s not having any success quitting by himself. In-patient treatment is the only road that is going to save his spot here at the house. That was the last straw, so to speak. I wish nothing but the best for him, and I have even prayed for him which is a pretty big deal for me. Feel free to include him in your prayers if you do such a thing.

On a completely related note, I talked to my other roommate who disappeared about two months ago. I had my suspicions about him, too, and they were also confirmed, but he is in a program out of state now, and is doing well and coming home soon.


I’ve said it before, relapse is part of this program. Statistically, I could have six more roommates, and about half of the time, one of them wouldn’t relapse for a year. That’s almost shocking, but it is the disturbing truth about recovery. 16% is the success rate of people that walk into treatment centers and the rooms of A.A, and stay sober for a year. I don’t recall my source for that fact, but you can do plenty of research if you need to, I’ve done quite enough in my lifetime.

It’s 5:24am. I’m wide awake, full of coffee. I’m sober. I haven’t picked up a drink or a drug for 923 days. For the third time in as many weeks, I’ve had to dump out the contents of my roommate’s liquor bottles. I’ve had the power to take a swig, while nobody was looking, but I declined. That doesn’t make me better than anybody; it just means that I was able to resist temptation for the two minutes that I had the bottles of vodka in my hands. I haven’t yet gone through this process without the aid of a friend in recovery, whether here in person, or on the phone, not because I don’t trust myself, but because there’s no point in testing myself. I’m not dumb; I know how fast a relapse can happen, and I know, in my case, how fast it can spiral out of control.

It’s 5:33am, and I’m sober.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...