Saturday, January 7, 2017

Unemployed


Today is my seventh day off in a row. So far, January has been the polar opposite of December as far as working is concerned. I like to say and think that I’ve done a lot, but aside from some heavy lifting, cleaning, and driving, I’ve actually been able to relax for a few hours here and there. This morning, I woke up a little later than usual, at 7:11am, but I decided to roll around and just ease into the day so I stayed under the covers for another hour. It was glorious. But, my instinct to go, go, go kicked in and I wanted to write a post, go to the gym (today is back, shoulders, and treadmill), make lunch (yesterday I went to Sun Foods and bought the ingredients to make some Pho, today I will try to be equally creative), do laundry (Still catching up from my vacation), clean my room (don’t even know where to begin), and read some of my new book, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (I’ve only gotten half of a chapter into the supposed classic novel, but so far I just can’t get into it; it’s boring and I can’t relate. I’m going to stick it out, though, because I’ve not seen nor heard a bad review).

Yesterday my boss from the laminating factory texted me and asked if I wanted to work Monday and I replied, yes! I filed for temporary unemployment during this down-time which I was approved for, but I would much rather be working than sitting around trying to think of things to do on unemployment. This is the first time I’ve been approved for unemployment after answering all of the questions truthfully. Of course, if anybody from the unemployment office is reading this that sentence was entirely fictional, and I would never dream of defrauding such a legitimate institute.

Here’s another fictional story, about a friend of mine, whose name also happens to be named Vince. Incidentally, he was also arrested on December 20th, 2013 at the Super8 Motel on south Broadway in Rochester. Hmmm, lots of similarities there. Well, no need to look into that any further, especially if you’re a government employee.

Anyhow, I tried desperately to get my friends, accomplices, and even acquaintances to bail me out of jail. I didn’t really like it in there, and I wanted to be back out on the street, presumably as a homeless drug dealer. At the time, I was receiving unemployment because I was laid-off for the winter as a seasonal worker at a restaurant in Lanesboro. I came up with a stunning plan to communicate to the outside through a combination of letters, phone calls, and visits, the exact combination of information needed to have somebody apply for my weekly unemployment benefits until my account reached the point where they could withdraw a check, have it sent to a bail bondsman, and ultimately pay for my release. I only spent 35 days in that jail because of my conspiratorial strategy, compared to my co-defendant, who stayed in for eight months. I was pretty proud of myself, and I went right back to using and dealing for six more months before finally being sentenced to prison.  Er, I mean my friend did all of that, my friend Vince.

Overall, living honestly weighs a little lighter on the soul. I can’t even imagine being so devious now, but there really is no need to be that way. Actually, it was kind of neat filling out the forms and knowing already that I would be approved, and that I didn’t need to fear any of the envelopes that would be arriving from them at my house.

In the end, if I do go back to full-time work next week, it will all have been for naught because of the one-week waiting period during which I cannot receive benefits. I will have to suffer that week without pay, but fortunately I’m doing well enough that I won’t suffer any permanent damage. I can still do what I want, buy what I need, and go where I please. And for that, all I can do is smile.

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...