Thursday, January 5, 2017

Turnaround


Things are beginning to return to normal. I had a couple rough days, meh; we’ll call it a week since I got back from California. The stars just weren’t aligned or whatever astrologers say, and it seemed like thing after thing was having a negative impact on my days.

The situation with my roommate was particularly stressful in that I consider him more my friend than housemate, and I see him walking down a very dangerous path. Although it’s painful to see a friend suffering, it’s important to note that it is not me that is drinking, and I simply need to keep doing what I’m doing, and things overall have been quite splendid for me as of late.

Yesterday was a big turnaround for a number of reasons. I had the house to myself and I did a fairly major cleaning overhaul that was much needed. For those of you who have never been here, this house has only a few small cupboards and very little storage space, so it’s easy for clutter to build up, and junk was slowly taking over the countertops. So I went to Walmart and bought shelving in one form or another for the kitchen, bathroom, and one for shoes in the living room. I cleaned all of the surfaces from the ground up on the lower level, and reorganized a bit, and it feels a little more like home. And then, I relaxed. And then, I took a nap.

Later in the day, I was looking through my Facebook messenger when I came across a thing that said Message Requests. I had seen this before, but forgotten its purpose, so I clicked on it. Well, I’m glad I did, because there was a message in there from about nine months ago that really changed my day.

Again, about nine months ago, I wrote a letter to a former employer, asking for the opportunity to make amends. I wrote this post about them, and hoped that eventually I would hear back but I never did, until yesterday. Here’s the essence of that message:

Hello! We received your letter in the mail today. Thank you so much for that! We think about you all the time and wonder where you are and how you’re doing. I am so glad you are well and recovering! We always believed you were a great person under all that crap! Keep up the hard work, it’s worth it. Thanks again for reaching out!

I read it over and over, and then I replied. I explained how Facebook had hidden the message from me, and that I was still doing well and that I would love to visit them and talk next time I was down. They replied, and it’s settled. Next time I go down to Fillmore County, specifically Lanesboro, I’ll get to make an amend that has weighed heavy on my heart for nearly a decade. In a way, it feels like the weight has already been lifted, but I know I still have to carry out the task when I get there. It won’t be difficult, just like every other amends hasn’t been. It’s really the anticipation that kills me; wondering how it will go. But I already know, and that’s one of the greatest things about working this program, is that you can be fairly certain of the results if you keep doing the hard-to-do stuff.

Then the icing on the cake for me yesterday was going to my home group where I get to see all of my sober friends every week. It’s truly the best meeting I’ve ever been to, I’ve thought that from day one, and I look forward to that every week.

So, what did we learn here? Rough patches will appear, seemingly out of nowhere, and sometimes more than a few things happen in succession, and it appears that life is throwing you a few lemons to test you out. But, ha ha, I don’t even like lemons, so I just drop them and smash them. And eventually they are left to rot. But remember if you smash the lemons indoors, to clean up the mess, because fruit flies are really tough to get rid of once they are airborne. Actually, I do appreciate the smell of lemons, but that’s as far as it goes.

I got through a rough patch. This isn’t the first, nor will it be the last.

Here's a picture of happiness.
 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...