Sunday, January 29, 2017

12/20/2013 Revisited (Again, for the Second Day in a Row)

As I stated in my last post, I would share this link with you of a post I wrote a couple years back about the night of the incident. It's actually just the beginning of a few posts in which I weave in and out of the story, which I tended to do in my earlier work. I wrote this post about a year later on my current blog about the same night, but I think with more depth and understanding. So far, I've given you quite a bit of homework if you aren't a follower of this blog, as these three links are fairly important because they tell this story from so many angles.

What I see right away is a chain of events that were set in motion far in advance of the arrest. I don't mean like from my first hit of weed 20 years before that night, I mean the car in the parking lot. Actually, the blue Toyota that the report refers to was a car I had been in possession of for a few days and I had just been dropped off in it for the final time. The owner drove it away, with my dog Willie, to bring him to a safer place for a few days while I made some poor choices.

 I had been at that motel for two days which is usually about when management catches on and you have to find a new place to deal. I don't know if it was an employee or a guest that called in the suspicious activity, but they were spot on. The cops had just missed the blue car, but fortunately for them, another criminal pulled up at the right time and they were not very bright.

As is shown in the report, when the officer approached the car, there was paraphernalia in plain sight, which is all an officer needs to remove everybody from the vehicle, conduct a search, and find the weakest link to point out somebody they really want. The report states that a meth pipe and a pistol were both found in the glove compartment. The next line states that he went to talk with Aricc, a.k.a. Red. There is no further mention of the pistol, which should have been p.c. for an immediate felony arrest because it was within reach of a controlled substance. The reason is that Red gave up Meri, a.k.a. Katy, and told the officers he thought meth was being sold from the hotel room. Red is what people refer to as a rat. Don't be like Red.

I've stated time and time again that I'm grateful I went to prison, and that it changed my life, because it did. But I do still hold resentment in my periphery because he broke the criminal code, and talked to the police. I was always proud to see the statement I made regarding making no statement whatsoever, and the next time I spoke it would be to my attorney.

When I talked to my attorney the next day, he told me to be quiet during the arraignment, and asked if I could come up with $80,000 for bail. He had a serious look on his fat face when he asked that question, so I knew I was fucked.

In the end, everybody that was in the car with the meth and the gun went home. One of them received a ticket for possession of a small amount of marijuana. The two people from the hotel room went to jail, and thus began the long process of moving my life in a different direction. Last I heard, my codefendant wasn't doing very well. She was facing some more serious drug charges and was in and out of jail. It has been over two years since I had any contact with her, and I'm certain I will never see her again.

In my next post, I will scan some more of the police report, this time dealing with the aftermath of a drug-bust. There's some pretty intense investigation that goes on after the handcuffs are put on, and the warrant to unlock my phone and its contents produced some pretty intriguing information. That's all next time on Fixing Broken.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...