Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Dragging

As always, I'm a half hour early for work. I'm not crazy, this just happens to be the place where I have my morning coffee on weekdays. It's nice and quiet up here in the break room, far away from the relentless commotion of the running machines and people shouting. From a distance, down the stairs and through a hallway, it sounds like a terrible place to work.

Normally I would use the last sentence in that paragraph to transition into writing about my new job, but that's still a ways out. I've had my orientation, and kitchen/food safety training, but that's all so far. October 1st the madness starts.

Here's something, I met with my parole agent for the first time. Actually, I had met her many times before in what seems to me like a previous life. She was my probation officer back in the early 2000's when I had to move back to MN to take care of some warrants. She's pretty cool, and we will get along just fine. We spent 25 minutes talking about the last decade of my life, and five minutes on what myfuture on parole looks like.

It's just like it sounds. I will still have to see an agent (her), I will still have to take drug tests, and I will still have the burden of going back to prison hanging over my head. On the flip-side, a lot more time will open up for me. I can stay out as late as I want, leave the house at any time, leave the state with permission, and even sleep somewhere other than home if I want to for the first time in 13 months. Of course this is all contingent on me making in three more weeks on I.S.R. I don't foresee any issues. Time seems to have started dragging by now that I'm close to the end, but I am patient.


I've been taking some time to write an afterword to the first year of the blog. This weekend I'm going to dedicate some time to write about a subject broached by my mother a while back in a series of posts that starts here. I'm going to write about my brother, and the material will be included in an appropriate place in the e-book of the first year of the blog. So, there will be plenty of new material for you to read once it comes out.


It's 4:30 pm now and I'm staring off into space at work. I should really be paying attention to my laminating machine, and I definitely shouldn't be writing this while I'm working, but I've always been a bit insubordinate when I hate my job. Soon, very soon, I will be back in the kitchen, and hopefully will find happiness in my work once again. That's all for now.




And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...