Friday, September 2, 2016

The Day Off



I went to bed at 10:00 last night. I was up at 11:15, 12:30; 3:00, 5:00, and finally 6:18am. That is a typical night of sleep for me. My Fitbit claims that I average 7:18 per evening over the long-haul with 28 minutes of being awake and restless. Last night it wasn’t my legs, I think it was my pillows. So I’m going to buy new ones today.

I have the option of doing anything I want to today because it’s Friday, and I don’t have to work. I’m taking my first vacation day since I started at the laminating factory 11 months ago. Wait, back it up. I’m taking my first vacation day since maybe my cruise in 2006. I haven’t had a job that came with vacation since then, unless you count meth dealing as sort of a vacation, which I do not. If you aren’t a friend of mine on Facebook, that’s ok, but you may not have heard the news. I got the catering job with Levy Restaurants that I applied for last week, and I had a talk with the bosses this Wednesday about my upcoming status as a laminator.

The catering job is only part time, but I told my two current bosses that if they wanted me to stay on for a while part time, I would, but foodservice would be my priority from now on. They both looked subdued but accepted what I was saying, and said I could stay on as long as I wanted in any capacity. I then mentioned that I had been working there for 11 months and have never been late, called in, or taken a vacation and that I would like to take a vacation day this Friday (today) even though accrued time off isn’t officially available until the one-year mark, to which they were also agreeable. Win-win.

So here I am, it’s now 7:19am and I’m in my favorite seat in my favorite coffee shop typing my morning away. I specifically did not make any plans, but I have a few ideas. After I am finished with this post, I think I’ll go to the gym and after that Willie and I are going on an adventure down by the river. It does look like the weather is going to be perfect today. Following the great outdoors, I am going to go spend some money. I also got paid today, which included a significant amount of overtime, and I need new pillows and some new clothes and maybe even some new shoes, it’s really up to me. And then I think I’ll go catch a matinee, since a manatee is far too large and far less entertaining. Also I don’t believe there is a manatee in the state of Minnesota. I will research that.

It sounds like an action-packed day, and it is but that schedule barely gets me into dusk. I should probably find somebody to actually do something with tonight, but I undoubtedly won’t. With any luck I can develop some social skills at this new job and maybe adventure outside the box a little by trying to do things with people. It’s still a little scary to think about doing things out in public like normal people might do. I haven’t done anything with people outside recovery or family since I got out, and that’s probably the next big step. It is the next step, in fact.

I’ve been staring out into space for the last fifteen minutes, I’ve run out of thoughts. To clarify, I’ve run out of rational thoughts which would relate to the subjects in this post. I am pondering one thing; how do people type without looking at the keyboard? I remember in grade school we had typing classes, but never after. I think I’ll check the internet for any on-line typing courses to see if maybe I could go faster than 15 words per minute. I currently use all ten of my fingers and my brain when I type. I also use the tip of my tongue when I’m really concentrating. Not to type, of course, but to hang out of the corner of my mouth to look as if I’m really concentrating. And that’s all you get today. More on today, tomorrow.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...