Sunday, June 12, 2016

Unmanageable



During more than one phase of my life I was utterly unable to take care of myself in the most basic of fashions. I’ve written about to them to some extent, but one phase in particular keeps coming back to me so I thought I’d try to write it out.

There is a great deal of desperation involved in trying to maintain some form of dignity when you’re essentially homeless. In this case I wasn’t living on the streets, but with friends in a small trailer home in Lanesboro. I had lost my job as lead cook at the Pedal Pusher Café for stealing and I was not capable of getting out of the town to get another job, so I stayed put.

My two friends, I’ll call them Dan and Luisa, had recently moved in together and would eventually be married and start a family of their own. Living with them was my only and last resort.

I had very little to move because everything I owned was either torn to shreds or didn’t exist. I was able to fit all of my belongings as a 30+ year old man into an eight by eight room with plenty to spare. I had a television, a bed, a bag of dog food for Willie, and some rags that would serve as clothing.

For years I had spent every dime I had on cigarettes, pull tabs, alcohol, and weed. I shit you not, that was it. So my assortment of clothing was minimalist at best. The clothes I wore when I moved in would serve as my outfit for months. It consisted of a pair of black chef pants that had the front crotch ripped out as a result of a super-glue prank. A pair of boxers that had the ass end chewed out by my dog. I wore the boxers backwards so there was some coverage over all of my parts. The shirt I don’t recall, but if I had to guess I’d say it wasn’t brand new. And the socks-- I think the best way to describe the socks is to bring to attention those gloves Michael Jackson wore. My toes would stick out as well as my heels. Luckily, I had stolen a set of coveralls from the boss at the job I was fired from, so I was able to cover it all up when I went out. For months I wore this uniform and it never saw the inside of a washing machine. It was pathetic.

I did go out nearly every day. Not to look for work, but to the public house. I found out that people in the bar early mornings are generally lonely, and would offer to buy me a few drinks. Most days I would leave as soon as I heard the roommate get up for work, and make the miserable journey past my old job to the Pub just down the street. I would sit down at the rail and ask the bartender/owner for water, and I would wait. It must have looked pathetic. I never had a dime when I went in but nearly every time I was able to leave with some level of buzz. All of my habits were supported through this informal version of begging.

Looking back, I know there was little I could have done about getting a job in that town during that phase of my alcoholism. But I found a way to do less than little.  I had really dug a deep hole stealing from a reputable business in a small town-- word got out quick. I dug myself even deeper by not owning up to what I had done, and making no effort whatever in searching for any available work. And I took advantage of friends who were hardworking, and for some reason still willing to put up with me living with them even through all of this. I am grateful for them always.

Clearly, that man has long since changed. I’ve been through some pretty rough patches even after those cold few winter months’ years ago in Lanesboro, but nothing ever quite like it.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...