Saturday, June 18, 2016

Salmonellosis 1



According to the C.D.C. Salmonella causes one million foodborne illnesses in the United States, with 19,000 hospitalizations and 380 deaths every year. I was part of the one million, but I thought for sure I was a 380. In fact, I did go to the hospital after an eight-day battle with an unknown sickness, but by the time the Doctor called me with a diagnosis a week later, it had run its course.

I had plans to help Sara load hay bales onto a trailer for her horses to eat. I was not allowed to eat the hay, but I did and it didn’t taste very good. That’s not how I contracted the disease. It was far more sinister.

So there was a shit-covered goat, or maybe a lamb, in a pasture. I mean this thing looked like it was dying because it probably was. I thought it looked cute so I decided I should pet it. I like animals, even ones that are covered in feces and some sort of slime. Needless to say, I went about the task without washing my hands, and at some point something entered my mouth, and inevitably my insides. I had no clue what I was in for.

The following morning, I woke up at Sara’s house and I had to run to the toilet. Diarrhea exploded from my backside, and vomit from my front. Either my butt or my mouth was in a trash can or a toilet, I cannot be certain in which order. I would long for the days of diarrhea after that, as I was not able to produce a B.M. for the following ten days.

I was driven home where I had one more day off of work, and I thought I would recover from yet another bout of alcohol poisoning. What I found strange was a pain in my guts that seemed to come and go in waves. Roughly every ten minutes a wave would crash down and I would roll around on the floor in agony. I would then crawl to the bathroom where I would sit on the toilet and produce a teaspoon of transparent gelatinous feces. It didn’t matter how hard I tried, or how long I waited, nothing more would come out. I decided to go on the standard flu diet of ramen and Gatorade. What I didn’t know until recently is that you should try to maintain a normal diet if you have Salmonella because it helps push it through your system. What I was doing was very dangerous, and in the end I lost a lot of weight and became slightly delusional from severe dehydration. This is exactly how people die.

For the first time in my working career, I called into work with the very real excuse of being sick. Day after day I called and gave the same story-- couldn’t walk, I couldn’t poop, and I wanted to die.

There’s another problem I’ve mentioned several hundred times in the course of my writing, I was having some troubles not drinking alcohol. At this stage in my life I relied heavily on beer to get me through my day to day life. My body or maybe my brain noticed the difference immediately and told me I needed to drink soon or I would continue shaking and sweating, I was torn by my need to survive, and my need to sustain. I drank a beer, and it was enough to stop the tremors. 
Somewhere around day three, I informed my friends of my condition and they came over in shifts to help me live. For the most part that just meant sitting and talking to me. Smoking weed helped my appetite but I was still afraid to eat because I was under the impression that I wouldn’t be able to process things and I would have tremendous difficulty passing them. But I still wasn’t willing to go to a Doctor.

This was an important time of year for the friends group of friends. This was hunting season and Thanksgiving, both of which I was sick through. I made an attempt at hunting one morning. The plan was to go to Sara’s family hunting shack to sleep, and get up early to hunt. There was one problem I discovered upon entering that would make things a little difficult for me, there was no toilet…

To be continued.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...