Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Salmonellosis 4



This is the latest in a series of posts on my experience with Salmonella that starts here.

The Doctor told me that the next step would involve me using a special toilet. Actually, it was more like a small storage container that fit over the bowl of the toilet that I would poop in. He explained that I would make a deuce in the apparatus and use a small scoop to transfer the feces into a tube for testing. It sounded kind of gross, but simple enough. At this point I was willing to try anything to figure out what was wrong with me.

I went into the bathroom after being scowled at by a receptionist for asking for a “special magazine.” I don’t think she appreciated my sense of humor. I was given the bowl and was told that I would find the tube and spoon in a little door to the right of the seat. I dropped trou and took a seat on the stool. Hmmm, I racked my brain trying to come up with a better stool joke, but what actually happened I think will be more entertaining so I will move on.

I opened the door and found the supplies. There were two tubes and I would have to get some in both of them. As I’ve mentioned before, I was not able to produce much more than a tablespoon at a time during this sickness. I got out what I could, and stood up and retrieved the dish. I sat back down and prepared myself for the task at hand. I opened up one tube and grabbed the little spoon. When I say little, I mean this thing was tiny. I jabbed at the mucus-like feces and tried to pick it up. It slid off. I tried again, this time from another angle, and I got it up about an inch before my hand started trembling and it flopped down again. I imagined myself in the little electric vehicles in Jurassic Park when the T-Rex was coming. Every time I thought I had it, the giant dinosaur would take a step and everything would jiggle and fall down.

I don’t know if I was shaking and sweating from alcohol withdrawal or from severe desiccation or both, but I became agitated, frustrated, and I thought I was going to lose my mind in that little room. I used a common profanity that rhymes with fuck and I came up with a plan. I would make a simple funnel out of the paperwork that I had signed for all of the services I’d received so far. I had only one shot at making it into two small glass tubes. I rolled it up, made a crease so I could stop the flow, and I dumped in the poop. It worked. It fucking worked! I was so proud of myself I could have shit, if I could have shit.

I cleaned up and put everything in the little door for analysis. I would be given four more tubes to bring home to fill up later. That was the end of the day at the hospital. I had told them from the get-go that I had no insurance so we should only do what was absolutely necessary for diagnosis which is why I was not admitted overnight or until an official diagnosis was given.

The next day was Thanksgiving and I spent most of it alone. My awesome friends Curt and Sara brought me a turkey dinner which was more than I had eaten in over a week. I really wanted a beer but they would not let me have one. It’s good to have friends. The day after that, I had filled my tubes with feces and my even better friend offered to bring a paper bag full of my samples to the clinic a few miles away to be analyzed. I was really grateful for that and all of the support they gave me while I was sick.

The day after that, I started feeling better. I mean all of the crippling pain was just gone when I woke up and I made something very special in my toilet that had been building up for weeks. Then the Doctor called me and informed me that I had Salmonella and there wasn’t anything they could really do about it. I nodded, I don’t think he heard me.

I spent the next few days answering questions from the Department of Health because I worked in a restaurant, but we eventually determined that I got sick from the shitty goat that I just had to pet. Lesson learned.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...