Saturday, June 11, 2016

Lightly Roasted



They say that the most flavorful coffee comes with a longer roast. I beg to differ.

If you’ve never had the opportunity to see coffee being roasted from its raw state, you’re not missing much.  Essentially, the beans go into what looks like a commercial laundromat dryer for a set amount of time determined by the desired outcome. While the beans are being tumbled, the little casings on each one falls off and is dried at a much faster pace, and removed through a vent. The color changes from green, to light brown, to dark brown in the most severe cases. Burning it. You’re God Damn burning it! I learned all of this at Pedal Pusher’s Café in Lanesboro many years ago. It was a mess, and I’m glad I wasn’t responsible for cleaning it up. Or, at the very least, I didn’t clean it up.

Anyhow, I’m writing this because I want to portray for you why I like light roast coffee. First, I think it has much more flavor. When it comes to steak, I’m the same way. Some people would say that a steak that has been charred has the most flavor, but what has really happened is the piquancy has changed from meat, to char. They sell whole bags of charcoal if you’re into that sort of taste. It is my belief that the closer you can get to raw when it comes to anything perishable, the closer you are to its true essence.

I’m sitting here at Nina’s Coffee Café on Selby and Western in St. Paul. I come here every weekend for a few reasons. First, it’s a good place to sit down and type. I could do that anywhere, but the second reason is that here, I’ve found the world’s most perfect cup of coffee. And although the country from which it comes is different every week, I know that when I sit down and take my first sip, I’ll taste something closer related to a berry than a campfire. It’s sweet, bitter, and full of life. It’s not complex. The true flavor of coffee has been hidden behind a dark roast for far too long, and I love that they have this option here. Yes, other coffee shops have light roasts, but there is no comparison for me: this is it.

One significant difference I’d like to point out is the higher level of caffeine in a lighter roast. The good stuff is burned out more the longer you roast. As I down the last sip of my first cup of the day, a bead of sweat forms above my brow so I know it’s working. When I was in prison, many of us would drink Folgers Crystals in relatively excessive fashion, because that was the only form of buzz we could create. In St. Cloud especially, I would mix water and crystals 50/50 and chug it because it would get me all jittery, a feeling I had been familiar with up until my incarceration. I was attempting to recreate a high. Of course that’s not possible, and the actual result was just me sitting and sweating in a hot concrete and steel cage writing out my life story with the pages sticking to my arms. There was no relief from the heat in that place unless you had enough money to buy a fan, which I did not. So, I would strip down to my tightey-whiteys, put a towel on the cement floor, and pace back and forth. There was no relief, but it was something to do. I remember being jealous of the gangsters and pimps who would make their bitches[i] send them money for T.V.s and fans, and comfortable clothing. If only I had been a womanizer, maybe I could have enjoyed my stay in prison.

But I digress. It looks as if it’s going to be a beautiful, if not hot day, so I’m going to go home and get Willie and head to the river.




[i] This is not how I refer to women. It is exactly the term used by many men in prison. In this case, the truth would probably sound racist coming from a white male, so I will say that the people in prison that most commonly referred to women as bitches were a dark roast.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...