Sunday, April 3, 2016

Moving Day

Every now and then He throws in a little surprise to test you. Yesterday it was in the form of a flat tire during the shopping portion of my move.

I had been driving at highway speed on a tire that was so low, I could push in on the side with one finger. I went to a gas station to fill it with air and it seemed good. I then went to T.J. Maxx to buy new kitchen tools and towels and what not, and when I came out, my rim was almost to the ground. I walked over to Walmart and bought s can of Fix-A-Flat and applied it to the tire. Immediately the fluid started pouring out of the side of the tire. Fortunately, it did its job and I was able to drive over to Discount Tire to have it looked at. When the guy came out to look at it, he asked if he could measure all the tread on the tires and I said yes. Bad news. They were all at 3/32 or less. I know enough about tires to know that that isn't very safe, and I knew then that it would be an expensive day.

He fiddled around with some prices and I walked out spending under $300 for four new tires installed, not too bad.

I wouldn't let that bring me down and I kept going.

I needed to buy a vacuum because the previous resident left the house and my room in shambles. The floor was a disaster, and there were piles of clothes covered in cat hair and an old chair so battered it could only have been used to store piles of said clothes, which they were.

I cleaned for two hours, and I'm happy with my room. It already feels like home. There is a lot left to do, but I'm ready for the challenge. I filled the fridge, cupboards, and counters with fresh vegetables, fruits, and other foods that will never see the inside of a microwave. I bought cleaning products to tackle any remaining projects, of which there are many. I bought a brand new TV, only the second in my lifetime. The service was a home run. (That's a call back from a prison post.)


I'm sitting in a recliner typing this from my phone because there's no internet here yet. But I have the means and ability to change that tomorrow.

I'm feeling good. In an hour I'll head out to the Goodwill to finish the last of my 96 hours of community service. Now that will feel like an accomplishment.

That's all I've got for now. :-)

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...