Sunday, April 17, 2016

We Have Nothing to Fear, But...



Fear. It’s a strong little word. It motivates people more so than love, hate, or courage. It is behind anger as its root, and is the cause of failure in my life over, and over again. As part of my fourth step, this week I am doing a fear inventory of myself, and I decided to write a post about the subject to get my mind working. The process for writing out this step, and associated inventories is not a format I am used to, it’s actually quite difficult for me and I don’t think I’m being as thorough as I should be, but it only asks me to be progressive in my action, and I will do this step repeatedly over the years, so I can do a little better every time.

So, what am I afraid of? Well, spiders, dancing, needles, and swimming. But those are not the fears that I am asked to write about. I will attempt to explain some common fears in the following treatise. I hope I’m thorough.

Failure. Even the word itself invokes fear. But why? Failure is in our nature, and has been the building block of human evolution (if you believe in that sort of thing). For me, it ties in with perfectionism. I put unrealistic standards on myself and society, and anything less than perfect is failure, which I beat myself up for. I expect that everything that I do or try for the first time to be flawless. I’ve always thought this way, and I’ve never succeeded. My mother wrote in an old post about my first experience with rollerblades. I put them on, rolled down the garage driveway, and fell. I got up, took them off, and stomped into the house and in a fit of rage threw them onto the ground and proclaimed that they were stupid and I would never try them on again. Or some such shit. I put the blame on the rollerblades. Interesting. A few short months later I was a pro. All I had to do was practice like anybody else would. But I assumed that when I first donned the wheels-on-shoes, I would be an expert, something I still assume about things today, but I see now that I really have made progress in that area. Just in writing this I can see that I have developed patience. And although I still want to be perfect in everything I do, I’m willing to go through the learning process to do it. It’s taken me over three months at work to learn how to run two very complicated machines, and I’m getting there, but every day it seems like I’m finding something new.

So, I am afraid of failure because failing makes me sad, which turns to anger, which can lead to resentment. What a path. I have a lot to look into there.

Next, let’s look at my fear of confrontation. This lead exactly to built up resentments, and can turn into anger. Confrontation isn’t just about fighting. It’s simple, really. I think normal people do not have issues with confronting a bad boss, or a friend that’s making mistakes in life. But not me. For years I worked in a restaurant with a terrible boss that had unrealistic goals and expectations, and paid me less than I thought I was worth. But I never said anything, I just let it all build up in my head until I found ways to get what I wanted in the form of dishonesty in stealing, resentment in talking bad about her to friends and coworkers, and selfishness in doing things my way. Not a surprise, I was terminated with the explanation that none of us were happy in the arrangement, and I went on unemployment, which I blamed exclusively on the boss. I wrote about this in my resentment portion of my fourth step, and will put her on my 8th step list and I will be willing to make amends for the damage I’ve caused.

I could go on and on, which makes me fairly confident in my abilities to write out the rest of this step for my sponsor. I would appreciate hearing any feedback on this one. Especially from you “normal” people. Do you struggle with the same issues, or have you conquered your fears in life? And if you have, how have you done it? Thanks for reading!

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...