Saturday, April 30, 2016

Blogging 101



After a lengthy unintentional hiatus, you are now once again able to get e-mail notifications when I publish new posts. You’ll have to take the same steps as you did before by going to the web version of the blog and following the instructions at the bottom of the page. I don’t know exactly what went wrong, but I did somehow make it work again. 

I haven’t written anything about prison for a while. In fact, I rarely think about being there anymore, and even when I spoke about it the other night, it felt like it had been a lifetime ago that I was in those horrible places. It’s been nearly eight months, and aside from a little hiccup and a 30-day loss of all of my freedoms, I’ve done exceptionally well out here. This is my 101st post on this blog, so I’d like to take this opportunity to look back on what I’ve accomplished in this relatively short period of time.

Yesterday, my bosses told me that they value me as an employee, in fact, they said it has been years since they had an employee that was as motivated and hard working as me. They then gave me a $2 per hour raise which is incredible for me. I’m not trying to toot my own horn here but, Beep Beep, that’s pretty fucking awesome! I have worked my ass off every day since they gave me a job just three weeks out of prison. The work is often frustrating and repetitive, but I show up and I don’t complain because I am grateful to be working full-time.

I have a car that looks like it’s been through my life. It’s cost me so much recently that I could have bought a much nicer car if I had spent the money I had to on new tires, brakes and rotors, and a high-mileage oil change, all at the same time as a down payment. But, it’s mine. It’s in my name, it’s insured, and I have my license, all things that are less common in recovery than in the normal world. I spent all of that money and I could afford to do it and have money left over to spend on necessities. I’m never broke, and that’s huge.

I moved out of my mom’s house. Again. Some of you probably did that for the last time in your teens, and I think that is pretty normal. I’ve done it a couple times in my teens, a couple more in my twenties, and again in my thirties. I want this to be the last time, so I need to work hard to keep on the straight and narrow. I think I’m doing alright so far.

I have rekindled relationships with my family. Some I communicate with and see more often than others, but I am part of the whole again, and I can tell you that I can see now what I was missing out on for all of those years. I’m no longer afraid of them finding out all of my terrible little secrets. They know, and they accept me for who I am and what I’ve been through. I love them. I love you guys!

I’ve gotten over my fear of being around people and in public places. That was a tough one. For months I had trouble looking people in the eye and having normal conversations. Actually, I still have some difficulty, but it’s getting better. Anxiety doesn’t seem to rule my life anymore. My favorite part of every week is going to my home group and gathering for fellowship afterward with a group that has become very close over the past few months. I hope this continues for many years.

That’s a lot of progress in just under eight months. I am excited to see what the future holds. I know I have a lot of work left, but I am up for the challenge. I don't have everything I want yet, but I have everything I need. I’m loving life.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...