Saturday, April 23, 2016

Good Boy



I’ve written a number of posts that involve my dog, Willie. Here is one of my posts on him. He’s been in my life sporadically over the past six months, and even less the two previous years. The last time I actually had him in my possession was December 20th, 2013, the night I was arrested for my meth charge. My friend Seth had been taking care of him since shortly after that night and he brought him to the cities a while back to stay at my aunt’s house until I moved out of my roommate’s (mom’s) place. I have since made that move, and although this is not yet a permanent situation, Willie is here at home with me and it feels great.

We’re going down to Fountain tomorrow to visit friends and have a massive feast at Seth’s family campground, a place where I’ve possibly never breathed a sober breath. It’s not really a test for me, I know I won’t drink because that would be the dumbest thing I could possibly do. It’s a chance for me to see people that I left behind in the wake of my last meth bender, and a chance to show off how cool I am still in recovery. There won’t be any alcohol around at all, in fact, because even that would be a violation of my parole. My friends understand the implications and will respect the alcohol ban for the day.

Willie has been through a lot in his life. He’s seen me at my best and my worst, and has loved me without judgement. He has seen me do things I’m certainly not proud of, and I’m grateful he didn’t fully comprehend what was going on at the time.

He was kennel trained as a young puppy, and it worked really well after a trial period. One day in particular, I put him in his cage and left for work. I didn’t know it, but that would be a 12-hour day at the Kemps ice cream plant. When I arrived at home shortly after 1am, I saw that he was standing up in his kennel which was normally because he was happy to see me and ready to go potty. This time it was different. I don’t know for how long he had been standing, but I could see that it was because the one-inch tall plastic liner that was the bottom of the kennel was filled with liquid feces and urine and he didn’t want to lay down in it. Apparently he had been sick or eaten something that didn’t agree with him and he had nowhere to go. I felt so bad for him, and I thought I was a bad owner for letting it happen. He paid me back by running out of his little home and across the carpet into my room to make another poop on my floor. I wasn’t mad, and I was actually relieved that he still had energy. I cleaned it all up and gave him a bath, and all was good from then on.

Right now he’s passed out in the middle of the living room and I really want to go cuddle him up. I will when I’m done with this post.

He’s old, and that makes me happy because even though he was with me for some rough times, he’s always been shown love by me, and all those who have taken the responsibility to take care of him over the years while I was off doing stupid things. We never know how long we or anything will last in this life but I hope that he has a few years left to make people around him happy. I live in a house with two other guys and I hope they’re willing to let him move in with me so I can make up for the time we were separated by my mistakes. And even if that can’t be the case, I know wherever he is, he will be happy, loved, and such a good boy. I love you Willie.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...