Sunday, November 6, 2016

Write?



Today is already perfect. The stars are aligned. What I mean by that, is that I am sitting in my favorite spot at Nina’s Coffee Café, and between the All-Star morning cast. To my right is a woman who makes amazing drawings with nothing more than a few pencils, some of which have been seen on the walls of this very establishment, and undoubtedly art shows throughout the area. To my left is the man of mystery. His computer is fancy, and he wears headphones when he generates his magic. I can see that he is writing music, and on occasion, I see him rocking back and forth, and I wish I could be the first to hear the symphony he has formed for the world.

And then there’s me. I probably smell like last night’s fire, my hair appears to have been pressed against an immovable object for a solid few hours, and I had some issues inserting my contacts this morning, leaving my eyes with a rouge that would normally betray a stoner’s buzz. I wonder if they have ideas about what I’m in here writing at 7am. It must be important. Like the songsmith, I rock back and forth when I type, as if I were hearing the rhythm in my keying, and keeping the beat with a quiet nod. It comforts me, and although not probable, I think it helps unlock my mind. I used to think that I was swaying to the music until I realized I only moved when I was typing, and that my rocking did not match the beat. I like to think that I am somehow in the same league as these two morning rivals, but I undoubtedly have half a lifetime to catch up.

Writing has been my therapist for over two years now. I have been able to tell you people anything and everything that has come to mind, and all the while I’ve been healing inside. I don’t do this to entertain you, gain popularity, or showboat my criminal career. I do this to help me, and others like me, get through the daily grind that is life after devastation. I find that it has been so therapeutic, that I want to impart on others the benefits of writing our wrongs, and telling the world our story. In the rooms of recovery are thousands, no, millions of stories just like mine or better (worse). Not everybody can write, and my early work was spotty at best, but I would like to help others get their message heard. A few in recovery have stated that they would like to try their hand at writing, but only one has followed through, with a little encouragement. You know who you are, and I can’t wait to see what you’re capable of.

On a completely unrelated note, last night we threw a little bonfire to celebrate, uh, Saturday. We don’t just burn wood at our fires, we burn all sorts of shit from the basement that has been collecting mold and mildew, all possibly from previous tenants, and some likely from the deceased home owner. The house is now owned by the brother of the departed, we aren’t squatting. Anywho, we burned several hundred glow sticks which are absolutely amazing when heat-activated, along with half a dozen chairs, a box-spring, and several bags of clothing. I went into the dungeon-like basement one time to see if I could find anything to burn and I found a bag that looked quite flammable. I announced to the crowd that I had found a mystery bag, and promptly threw it in the fire. At that same moment, my roommate cocked his curious head in the direction of said fire-bag and announced that it was actually a part of his winter wardrobe, then frantically kicked it out of the flames and began pulling smoldering sweaters from the seared, and smoldering bag. There was a cashmere sweater that did not make it out alive. Everybody but him seemed to think the situation rather humorous, but he lightened up in the end and we enjoyed the rest of the night. Lesson learned. What lesson? Don’t let me into your basement if there’s a fire nearby.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...