Saturday, November 26, 2016

ComeFundMe


 
The journey to St. Croix Falls for Thanksgiving was one I will not soon forget. I feel as if a lot of stories start that way, so I thought I would try it. I got to see a part of the family that I rarely see, and in a case or two, hadn’t seen in 15 years or so. I wasn’t as nervous as I was about going to celebrate Easter with another side of my family, but I like to think that’s because I’ve grown so much in the last six months.
 
The city itself boasts a population of 2,113 according to Google, and is essentially the up-slope of a valley—I suppose it could be considered the down-slope if you’re travelling in the opposite direction—that edges the St. Croix River itself. It’s picturesque. I’ve always wanted to type that word and mean it, and there you have it. I mean that in the same way that I do when I refer to Lanesboro. You can see the town from a distance, and it’s really quite breathtaking.

 

The whole time I was there, I wanted to be taking pictures but the camera on my phone is so slow and useless, that by the time the app fired up, we were well past the shot I wanted to take. In all, I ended up with zero pictures of this beautiful Thanksgiving vacation. Not one shot of us together at the table. Not an uploadable picture of the river’s canyon from a distance or even a snap of me making a hilarious face. So this morning I decided to do something about that by setting up a GoFundMe account to raise money to help me buy a camera to help with the success of this blog.

 

I hope that doesn’t come off as greedy or irresponsible, like, why don’t you buy your own fucking camera? Or, you’ll probably use that money irresponsibly because you’re an ex-pot injector. Well, that’s just not an accurate portrayal of drug use. That’s not even how you use pot. I could afford to buy a camera but not one of the quality necessary to add a professional, photographic element to the blog that I think will add to its sincerity, charm, and overall message.
 
So, I won't hesitate: if you're a longtime reader, somebody who can afford to, or a person who just loves the idea of seeing more happen with this blog, I encourage you to donate to my cause. Any amount is greatly appreciated and I will use 100% of the total raised to purchase the camera and any related equipment. This is the link to my GoFundMe page. Please, give to me instead of some other charity. Or both, but probably just me.
 
Thank you in advance,
Vince

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...