Sunday, November 27, 2016

Another Lunatic Rant


So, fundraising is harder than I thought it would be. My last post generated 155 page views in one day. That’s a fairly good number, but I’ve only received three donations. Truly, I think that’s pretty good for one day of fundraising for my very worthy cause, and there is plenty of time left.

From now on, to prove my point even further, I will take a picture of myself using the webcam on my laptop in very poor quality, regardless of the content of the post. It’s going to be sort of like a ransom; you give me money, or the girl loses a finger every day you don’t, except in this case, I am the little girl, and the fingers are representative of me getting closer to my goal of getting a new camera, so every day that you don't fund me, I lose a finger. I can’t make it any simpler for you. I can’t blather on all day about myself and my needs, what about you? You need good writing, and I think good writing can be augmented by good photography.

Time to depart from the topic, I suppose. Today is my last of four straight days off. It’s been fast, but rather enjoyable. I’ve been to two states, Minnesota and Wisconsin, and I’ve been out shopping at thrift stores in both locales. I now own two ugly Christmas sweaters, which easily broke my old record of zero, and for that I am grateful.  Yesterday I got to enjoy some time with the girl I've been seeing after a Thanksgiving hiatus, and I had an amazing time. I’m not quite ready to tell you all about her over a blog post, but those of you who know me will surely get to meet her soon enough and someday before long I will write more about this.

Back to the topic of work, tomorrow I’m heading back to the laminating factory for a week and a half while the Wild are out of town, and Disney on Ice takes over the Xcel Center with limited concessions, and no liquor sales. I haven’t worked a full five-day week at the factory since I resigned my full-time employment on October 1st, and I do believe I will quickly remember how boring it is sitting in an office chair on wheels, watching a machine protect paper with plastic laminate over, and over, and over, and over… until the bell rings at 5pm. I don’t know how I used to do it every week, but I did it for a year, and I survived. I’m a laminating industry survivor. There should be a support group for that.

So that last paragraph was the single most boring thought I have ever written out. We are all worse off having read it, and may God have mercy on your soul.

It’s been roughly two weeks since I wrote the emotional duo of posts about my brief relationship with my brother, and to update you all, I’ve not had a response. Neither to e-mail, nor to Facebook Messenger, the two forms of communication I’ve tried thus far, have I seen a reaction. It’s disheartening, but expected. I’ve not given up, so this week I’m going to dig a little deeper, and see if I can find his physical address, and do what I used to best, put pen to paper. For those of you unfamiliar, mail is a form of communication largely used before the advent of the internet, and consists of finely pulped and pressed trees which are shaped into rectangles, scribbled on in ancient text hardly recognizable by today’s standards, enveloped inside more pressed trees then secured with human saliva, and delivered by a person in a grey uniform to a specific address upon proper payment of an adhered “postage stamp.” It’s a lost art, but it’s hard to ignore a letter when you receive it in the mail, even if you see a name that dredges up challenging memories, that maybe you thought you had gotten over at this point. I do have to keep in mind that this 9th step of making amends isn’t about me, so if after this last, non-electronic attempt does not elicit a response, well, that’s it. I can’t dwell on it, as at that point I would have done all I can. I haven’t done it yet, so I won’t dwell on the future either, but it’s very much on my mind.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...