Saturday, May 6, 2017

Walkoff


Last night I attended my sixth Twins game of the season, and my seventh game overall (see Milwaukee.) It was UofM night at Target Field, so I was surrounded by people my age, so that was great. I’ve seen a lot of cool stuff this year. I got to attend the home opener. I saw an inside-the-park homerun. I watched a position player pitch the final out of an inning. I was there when the Twins set the record for homeruns at Target Field (6). And last night, not only did I get to see a walk-off homerun by Joe Mauer, I got to see his first career walk-off homerun. I never would have guessed that it wouldn’t be until his 14th season with us, that he would hit a homer in the final at-bat of a home game (6,006 plate appearances.)

The Twins are 3-3 now while I’ve been in attendance, but doing pretty well generally with a record of 15-12, and are now atop the Central Division standings. For the first time in a few years, I think they look pretty good. They’re hitting well, fielding well, and some of their pitchers seem to be able to throw strikes. It’s a good combination, and I really hope they can hold it together and maybe make a run at the playoffs, but I won’t hold my breath just yet; there’s a lot of baseball left.

 

I’ve been out of work for a while now. I’m entirely grateful that I have the means to whatever I want to while I’m laid-off. I had been thinking about seeking employment when I got a text out of the blue from a respected chef telling me he had a proposition for me. He said that for $1,000,000 he wanted to sleep with… No, no that didn’t happen. He said he had recently put in his notice at his current employer, and was starting the country club life (high end fancy food) and would I be interested in working for him. Yes! I’ve been poached! So I can’t give any details yet, because I don’t have them but I will know more on Monday when we talk, and I will share that with you people.

I don’t really have much more to write about. I’m keeping busy most days, but I have spent some of the rainy days catching up on all the latest trends in Netflix, and I’m okay with it. I still go to the gym nearly every day, and I take Willie out for walks roughly every other because he gets sore, but he’s slowly gaining back strength from a cold winter inside, and we will get out more often as the weather continues to impress.

I’m hosting a small BBQ tomorrow afternoon to get my cooking fix… fixed. So I’ve been prepping for a few days now making bbq sauce and pulled pork to be stuffed into the burgers that I will patty today. And I had a friend help me with making dough for buns, because I am not a baker. I did have to portion and ball them and bake them, and they look decent. I will have pictures to share in a few days when I have a chance to write again. Until then, goodbye.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...