Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Light


I just got back home from an impromptu trip down to southeast Minnesota to my old stomping ground. I had no clue that when I left yesterday, that this would be one of the most rewarding days I’ve had in years.

Briefly, the 9th step in the book of Alcoholics Anonymous states that we make direct amends to the people we have harmed, except when to do so would injure them or others. I’ve been working on that step for over a year now, and it’s great to be able to say I crossed a big name off of my list today.

About nine years ago, I was given the opportunity to work in a café in the small town of Lanesboro, two hours south and east of the cities. I was there at the time because I was running from the drug world and a friend of a friend had taken me away from the world of hurt, and introduced me to the world of day-drinking. He also got me a job at the Pedal Pusher Café, where I would develop my drinking habit further for the next year or so.

Lanesboro is a town of 788 and in the winter, when the tourists pack up, the restaurants slow down, and the party begins. This isn’t true for everybody, but it certainly was for me. My drinking habit matured at an alarming rate, and I found that pull-tabs were really fun to play while I was drowning myself in alcohol. Very quickly, my habit became reckless, and I had to start taking advances from the bosses at Pedal Pusher. Within months, the advances would take away half of my check, and the cycle would continue in a perpetual disaster and I could no longer afford to pay rent, eat, or clothe myself. It was then that I decided to take even more advances, only this time I didn’t tell the bosses about them. Bluntly, I began stealing from them, another habit which became worse with time.

Now that the money was free, my obsession with pull-tabs took over everything, and even though I was now in the green enough to pay all of my bills, I slipped farther into the delusion, $1 at a time. Eventually, they caught on to my bullshit, and they gave me several warnings that if I ever took another advance, that I would be fired. Brazenly, one day I walked in while the restaurant was open and took $40 out of the register in front of all of the employees who must have been warned about me because when I got back to the bar, I got a call from my boss telling me that I was fired for stealing.

 

My world changed after that, I no longer has a source of income, no pride, no food, no home, and no fucking clue what I was doing. I roamed the streets, I begged for beers at the bars, and I wore the same clothes for two months. I was in tatters. I have written extensively on this part of my life, so I won’t blather on.

Last night, when I went to the Lanesboro School to see my friend’s daughter Audrey sing in a choir performance, I saw Scott and Angie, my old bosses at Pedal Pusher. I had written them a letter about 18 months ago stating that I wanted to talk to them to make things right, but I never heard from them until a few months back when I checked my Message Requests of Facebook Messenger, and saw that she had replied to that letter that way. Anyhow, I sent her a message stating that I was still doing well, and would still love to talk things through, and they agreed.

I never had any intention of this being the time, but the opportunity presented itself, and I had to take it. I said I would come to the restaurant tomorrow (today) to talk.

 

I’ve been walking around with this guilt and shame for eight years. Even with all of the progress I’ve made, and the hurdles I’ve overcome, this burden has weighed heavy on my heart for far too long. And when we are able to get rid of the things that bog us down, when we are able to let go of the things that have held our lives back in so many ways, God’s light starts to shine through. And when you can see that light, you can love again, and that is what makes this work so important to me.

 

So there I was. I don’t even know how I got there, but I was in the restaurant I hadn’t seen in years. I sat at the table all of the employees sit at, and I ordered a sandwich, and I waited. Scott was cooking, and he was alone and it was kind of busy. I almost hoped he would say he couldn’t come out. But then there he was. He sat down across from me. Lips quivering, hands shaking, I spit it all out. I really went for it, sparing no detail of the damage I had done, specifically the money I had taken, and for how long I had been taking it. I then told him briefly of the path I was on now, and what I had been doing with my life, and how hard I had been working in the rooms of recovery. I felt a single tear escape the well that built up in my eyes, but I felt relief and comfort. I felt love. I could see that he had forgiven me long ago.

He told me that he knew that I had been stealing after some investigating after I left. He said that it wouldn’t have done him any good to carry that resentment around with him for eight years, so he let it go. I told him I was willing to come up with a payment plan so I could pay everything back that I had so freely taken, but it was for naught. All he wants me to do is keep doing what I’m doing, and give some money to people who really need it: what’s done is done.

There was more to it, but that’s all I’m going to share. I feel so elated right now I could just shit. Even as happy as I’ve been for over a year now, this is the happiest I’ve been in ages. God’s light is truly shining down on me tonight.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...