Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Just a Humble Fry Cook


Hi! So I took a week off, and I plan to take another away from the world of blogging, but I decided I could take a little time out of my day to update you all on my life.

Things at work are going well. The country club is a busy place and we feed people in the hundreds on a daily basis. I remain a humble fry cook but slowly and surely I move over to the sauté station one entrée at a time and pick up a little more each day. The idea is to be cross-trained on every station within a couple months so I am more useful to the bosses. So far I have been told that I’m doing well, and they hope I stick around.

This type of work isn’t for everybody. “In the weeds” is the term kitchen people use for the times of day when the tickets don’t stop printing, the sweat starts to bead, and tempers can flare. Pots and pans are flying all over and everything is literally as hot as the fire that has been heating it. I used to not be able to maintain my cool during these rushes, but now I remain calm and I focus my energy on assembling a product worthy of top dollar, because that is what the customers are paying out there. I will admit that I have been flustered, and I have faltered a couple times, but so has everybody else: I am not alone. It happens, and just like they taught me in boot camp: when I make a mistake, I fix it and I move on.

The drive to work is fairly long: forty minutes one-way. I don’t know how long I’ll be able to do that. I’m not already thinking of looking for a different job, I’m thinking of moving a little more west of where I am now at some point because the job and the benefits are worth staying for years. Who knows what the future holds.

One very typical aspect of a kitchen job is that you will find heavy drinking and drug use. This does not appear to be the case here. Unfortunately, this is harder on me than if it were prevalent because I find myself wishing I were the type that could just go have one beer with the staff after a hard day of work. I get the implication, and I’ve not actually been tempted or offered, but it will happen, and I need to be ready for that, which I am.

 

This past weekend was the 43rd annual Gopher State Roundup. If you don’t know, this is an opportunity for thousands of people in recovery to gather in one place, eat food, go to meetings, and otherwise socialize. This is my second year in a row, and third overall that I’ve attended. I went to three meetings when I went on Saturday and in one, the topic was powerlessness. When a former addict sees that word—and I should only speak for myself here—immediately the word control comes to mind. I’m powerless over anything and everybody that surrounds me: I can only control my actions. I don’t like that. Where it gets more specific for me is perfectionism, in that not only do I want to do things perfectly, I expect others to the same. I am a work in progress, but...

At work, I have always been in control of the flow. I don’t mean at Lafayette, I mean at Xcel, and the previous few kitchens in which I have worked. I controlled the timing and the final outcome, and generally, I was working alone. This is backwards for me at the country club, and I find myself trying to control things with my mind and thus far, it has had no effect. Similarly, I have wanted to be asked out for a beer after work, but that has also not happened. Isn’t that strange? I have had that conversation in my mind a hundred times, to a question that has never even been asked. I need to live a little more in the moment, and maybe try to ask for a little for help with that from my sponsor, and I think I will get through this.

Sometimes I think I am the only one that has strange thoughts or conversations in my head, but I know I am not alone.

 

I’ll be back in another week.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...