Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Break Time


I don’t know what I was afraid of; in fact, I don’t think it was really even a fear that gave me the jitters before I went into my first day at the new job yesterday. I think more than anything, I knew that this was an opportunity of a lifetime, and I didn’t want to mess up what I could have for a substantial portion of the next foreseeable future.

The Lafayette Club is a considerable jump from the work I did at the Xcel Center, although I am grateful for the opportunity I had to hone my knife skills while I worked there. I walked in yesterday with great aplomb, and I believe I did well for a first day.

What I realized when I got there is that I am more familiar with the inner workings of a kitchen than I remembered. At the Xcel, we prepared and assembled a day apart, and all of the food I served at The Reserve was produced through a TurboChef:  a glorified microwave. At Lafayette, we cook things from scratch, to order, with quality ingredients. This has always been the formula for good food, and it is nice to be back in an environment where quality seems to be of more importance than speed or volume, although those are also prominent. Care is taken with each plate as it is assembled by a team of artists who have a knack for making things just right.

My schedule will be fairly consistent: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 2-11. It’s a lot of work, and it will call for overtime in excess on occasion, but that is the standard for the industry and if I can make it through the first 90 days, I will be entitled to a comprehensive benefits package that is quite uncommon in the trade.

 

That said, I probably won’t be writing again for a while: it’s time for another break. Summer is here, and I want to spend more of my time outside, especially with my dog Willie who needs to get back into shape. I’m not calling him fat, he’s just very heavy on top, and he has these tiny little table legs that need to support all of the mass he’s cultivated over the long winter. It’s been difficult for him to transition from being cooped up and curled into a ball for a season, to going for walks and playing outside. He likes it, but it’s not easy on his muscles. Poor little guy. He will get back into peak physical form in no time. He will be more like me ;-).

So, again, I’m going to take a couple or a few weeks to catch up on collecting material on which to write, and I’ll get back to you. For you new readers and followers, especially whomever has been binge-reading my blog from Russia, here is a link to start from the very beginning—almost three years ago—and read about my incredible journey from its inception.

Until then…

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...