Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Pabulum

 
Time is the oldest scarce commodity. It seems there is never enough of it, and we use it so frivolously.

Yesterday, I wrote a post about my trip to Milwaukee. As always, I’ve read it a few times, and I’ve thought of additions and amendments that I should have/would have. This time, however, I think it’s best to dive a little deeper into what I experienced during this mini retreat, because I didn’t have time to process the getaway fully when I was writing it because I had something else going on, and I was rushed. Today, I am in no hurry, and I think I can do a little better.

After my stop for breakfast in Osseo, my usual go-to radio station, The Current, had faded away. I began to scan Wisconsin’s finest radio waves came up empty, so I tried the A.M. radio. As expected, I found a plethora of Jesus-based programming, which I did listen to for some comic relief. I found myself laughing hysterically at a few lines, and promptly turned the dial to something a little more reasonable.

The road was monotonous with its own rhythm; beat after beat soothing my fervent apprehensions of my near future: what am I doing with my life? I’ve come to realize with my recent time away from work that I really do like doing nothing sometimes. I’ve been on seasonal unemployment for nearly two weeks now, and eventually I know that the financial hardship will arrive, and I will have to seek gainful employment because I do also enjoy doing things that cost money. Also I have to eat food, pay rent, and feed my dog. I’m not saying that I’m broke, or in any danger of starving, I just need to keep an eye on my finances while I’m only collecting 50% of my normal salary.

I was able to think all of those thoughts through thoroughly as I drove for four hours forwardly to my terminus. When I arrived, I was able to give myself fully to the present (now past), and take in the value of spending time with family. I think the visit would have been awkward if there had not been that familial bond that resonates within us. Communication is much easier with family members and friends vs strangers because there is an immediate desire to inform and be informed, to learn and to share knowledge. Of course, there would have been no visit to Madison at all if I didn’t have a cousin-uncle who lived there.

 

At the stadium, I was in awe of the grand spectacle before me, but I think I could have paid more attention to the people with whom I went. We met up with some more of my cousins who live in the city of Milwaukee. One I haven’t seen since Thanksgiving, and possibly never before that, and the other I may have never met, we couldn’t decide. It wasn’t awkward, but I didn’t really ask questions and communicate freely which I wish I would have.

My existence is all about progress. I keep trying, and slowly I move forward and into a life that I have found comfort in. Time, however, is the oldest scarce commodity, and I need to be mindful that it’s always running out. What does that mean? I don’t know, it just sounded deep so I wrote it. This little vacation was some much needed pabulum for my soul.
 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...