Thursday, February 2, 2017

Hea There


I’ve spent two days working in the laminating factory this week, and I’ve come to the realization that I just can’t do it anymore. I‘m not saying that I ever had any passion for the industry, like I do for culinary, I’m saying I started there at an unparalleled level of boredom, and it has only gone down. Today, for example, I spent the first four hours cutting my half of the film gap between giant cardboard boxes. What does that all mean, Vince? Good question. I could spend a significant amount of our time dissecting the process for you, but that would put me in a catatonic state of mind which would eventually lead to more “downer” posts, and I just can’t put my mind there.

I’m remaining attentively hopeful about this Amazon job, although I haven’t heard anything from them since I sent over the final documents necessary to complete my application for consideration for employment. I can’t be too upset if they say no. I mean, I’m a convicted felon and recovering drug addict. I would imagine that somewhere in a giant vat of statistics it says that I would not work out in the long-run, which is why I included my own narrative, along with several credible references within and outside of the recovery community, including my parole officer and current employers. I figured I should be thorough if I were to have a chance at all.

Above all, I must be aware that the very worst case says that I still have two jobs, all of my bills are paid, I have clean water to drink, and I can buy food whenever I want to eat. That’s a very reputable worst-case scenario compared to past Vinces. Shit, is there supposed to be an apostrophe in my name in that situation? I wish I knew.

Today while I was working, my boss called from the Xcel Center and said I wasn’t able to work the two upcoming shifts this weekend during the rodeo because it just wasn’t going to be busy enough. He was apologetic, and emphasized that it was an issue of seniority, and that he really wanted me there. I understood. My restaurant is already slow enough during games, and I can only assume that people wouldn’t come up to the suite level to get drinks and food when the suites aren’t even open. Ugh.

So, what shall I do with all of this extra time? Well, I’ve already made quite a few plans with my beautiful Heather for this weekend, and I think I’ll see if I can spend even more time with her. Yes, I’ve been a little hesitant to write her in to this blog. Well, I think it’s because it’s a pretty big step for me. Not just writing about somebody other than me, but including somebody in all of my thoughts, feelings, and actions. For a while I thought maybe I was destined to be single forever, and maybe it was a result of my actions in the past, making me un-datable, and then one day I saw her walking up to my front door, an invitee of my roommate to a small dinner I made for a select few. I didn’t do a double-take, I just stared. She was tall, blonde, and beautiful. Immediately I wanted to get to know her.

And I did. It didn’t happen right away, but over time and with another visit to my house for a bonfire, I worked up the courage to ask her out for after-midnight coffee, then for her phone number, then out on a date. And then another. And over time, with a few speed-bumps, we have grown close; at least I like to think so.

She challenges me. I’ve spent the past few years writing out all of my thoughts and feelings, and I’ve had trouble communicating those properly to the people I know and love, and she has listened to me tell my story—at least the beginning—once again. Putting me outside my comfort zone has opened up a new world for me with communicating like an adult, and I have learned that I have a long way to go, and I don’t always like it, but I have felt growth inside me that has been substantial, and I have her to thank for that. Here I am communicating that to her in the third person.

On a lighter note, I really enjoy planning dates, Friday nights at the movies, and cooking for her. I look forward to our long talks on the phone, and our future trips to ghetto fabulous malls. God put her in my life at the right time, and something in me changed the day I saw her; I felt hopeful in an area of my life I had probably given up on.

Heather, thank you for being you, and helping me be a better me, you shine.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...