Friday, February 17, 2017

AmazNo


This 13-day workweek has nearly come to an end. I finished day 12 about two hours ago, and promptly went for my first outdoor run of the year. The weather was perfect, the sidewalks were treacherous. I went a mile-and-a-half which isn’t too bad considering I hate running, and I haven’t been on so much as a treadmill for a couple months. My Fitbit tells me I’ve stepped 18,311 times today, which is about 2,000 over my usual these days. Tomorrow I go in for a half-day, and then I’m off for one whole day before going back. The schedule lets up only slightly for about two weeks, during which I am only scheduled forty hours per week, and then I start working 50-60 for the rest of March.

I got a letter from Amazon today. Statistically it’s better to give people bad news on a Friday so there’s less chance of an incident; I think I learned that from Office Space. Here’s what the letter states:

Dear Vincent,

As you know, Amazon.com Inc. or its subsidiaries or its affiliates (‘Amazon”) procured a consumer report, also known as a background check, on you. We now write to advise you of an adverse action that Amazon has taken against you. Specifically, Amazon has decided not to enter into, or to discontinue, an employment relationship with you.

Well, no shit. I applied way back in 2016, and I put right on the application that I was a convicted felon. I can’t imagine why they would put me through all the hoops, just to tell me they don’t hire felons. I mean maybe they do. Actually, they don’t. I just did a little online research, which I believe to be the most reliable source of information these days, and I discovered that in not one single case, has a person with a felony been hired in Minnesota with a felony record. So why would they even accept my application with a check in that box? Who knows?

I’m over it. Even though my current job doesn’t offer benefits, I like working there. And, as my beautiful girlfriend pointed out, happiness is a great value in the workplace, and I have that rarest of benefits. I’m not dying, so I don’t really need medical insurance, but it would be nice to get started on a 401k and some other money-related stuff. I am getting old—I have seven grey hairs—so I do want to get something to supplement my Social Security someday, but for now, I am content.

And that’s all she wrote. That’s all I wrote. I mean, that’s all I’m going to write today.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...