Sunday, October 30, 2016

Who Am I?



For my birthday this year, my dear mother purchased for me an Ancestry D.N.A. kit. Yesterday while I was at work, I received an email informing me that the results were in and I found out some interesting stuff.

For all of my life until yesterday, I had been under the impression that I was a small part Native American, one-eighth to be precise. I know nothing about my father, but my mom had told me that his grandmother was full-blooded Native, so I was interested to find out about myself, chiefly that.

Here’s what I am made of:
Asian <1%
European 99%
That’s it. It gets more specific, which I will get into below, but clearly there is no Native blood coursing through these veins. Somehow, I was disappointed.

Here’s a more specific breakdown of my ethnicity:
Asian= South Asian, explicitly India. So, dot, not feather. Maybe that’s what my mom meant all of these years.

European= Great Britain 54%, Scandinavia 16%, Europe East (Poland, Slovakia, Romania)14%, Ireland 7%, and an 8% mixture of the following; Italy, Greece, Finland/Russia, Europe West (Belgium, France, Germany), and finally <1% European Jewish.

So, overall I’m equally Asian and Jewish, but mostly European. What does this all mean? Well, nothing really. It would explain why my dad had blonde hair and blue eyes (per legend). I’m just a mutt like most people in America. So that’s that, I can’t think of too much more interesting to write about my new-found heritage, other than it’s nice to know.

In other news, I stayed up until 6:30am which is by far the latest I’ve been awake in years. After work last night there was a bonfire at my place in celebration of my roommate’s birthday, which was in June. I realize that sounds suspect, and it is, but it was another reason for sober folks to get together and hang out. Late, oh so late, the last two standing made the decision to go to Mickey’s Diner for coffee and conversation. I had five cups which pushed me nearly to the point of biliousness. It was fun.

I went home and tried to sleep which happened in stuttered shifts over the next few hours until I finally gave up and came to the coffee shop to write. More coffee, it’s what my body craves.

Today is my only day off this week and my big plans are laundry, working out, and grocery shopping. This may have been the least electrifying sentence I’ve ever written, and it’s where I’m going to leave you until next time as I have had enough coffee and it’s time to start the day. See you soon.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...