Thursday, October 13, 2016

Home, Again



There are few things in life that make us happier than being encircled by the ones we love. This, of course, can include family and friends that are like family, and pets. This week I had two days off of work in a row and decided that with my new freedoms, I would take a road trip down to my old stomping ground, Fountain.

For those of you unfamiliar, Fountain is about two hours southeast of the cities, and 45 minutes south of Rochester, nestled in the antique county of Fillmore, and I believe containing two total intersections with stop lights. It’s a county of small towns, Fountain boasting a proud population of 402, up from 363 when I lived there a few years ago. Fillmore County has a total population of 20,834 which is far from its peak in 1895 with 28,599. Another fact that I found interesting is that Fillmore County has hardly any water, including zero lakes. At 862 square miles, 861.2 is land, and just .8 natural water which is the Root River that snakes through many of the towns around the Fountain area.

What it lacks in water it makes up for in miles and miles of gravel roads, fields of grain, and pure serenity. I needed a little of that in my life, so after Kanye West got on stage on Monday night, I cleaned up my kitchen, left the Xcel Center, and grabbed Willie and hit the road.

I arrived shortly before 1am and when I opened my door in front of my friend Seth’s house I smelled the cool Autumn night, and enjoyed the old familiar scent of fresh air. I let it sink in for a moment before I moved; it was so quiet I could hear the dry leaves dancing on the highway. I was home.

I went inside the house and was greeted by my long-time friend Seth who was dressed appropriately for bed. We sat up and chatted for a while and made plans for the following day. His daughter, Audrey, was due for a day off of school, and my visit was going to be a surprise for her. I had sent her a Candy Chemistry set for her birthday with the expectation that we would make candy together when I was finally able to visit a few weeks later, but there was no date set.

Seth woke me up at 6am with coffee and news of Donald Trump being super great and positive toward women, so we talked about that for a while. I went to use the bathroom and when I came back out Audrey was in the living room and did a double-take then gave me a giant hug. We broke the news that she was sick today and she seemed keen to the plan.

Audrey and I drove to Preston, about eight miles away, to her mother’s house where she had been keeping the gift. I got to see a few friends there, and we ate a breakfast fit for a motel lobby in a poorly-lit neighborhood, and headed back to Fountain where Seth’s wife, Jordan, was waiting for us to help with the process.

Making candy, specifically suckers and chocolates, really isn’t that difficult unless you’ve never done it before which was the case. There was a lot of laughter, a few minor burns, and some very oddly shaped candies now ready for human consumption. I did a super job of boiling sugar, but a dreadful job of melting chocolate which turned out lumpy and gritty. Audrey ended up just using the microwave to melt the remaining supplies which worked much better than the double-boiler I had set up. Kids are so smart.




I’m not going to write anything further on this little trip down south because not everything can be described in words, or needs to be dissected for analysis. I had a great time, and I can’t wait to go back for maybe a few more days. I did find myself wondering if Fillmore County was a place I needed to live again as I had stated in previous posts. I think it might be better to save as my home away from home, and continue this good life I have been building back here in my hometown.

When I made the trip back, I parked in my driveway. I opened up my door and took it all in. There was noise, smells, and movement all around me. I was home.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...