Sunday, October 23, 2016

7



I can tell you right from the start that this is going to be a short post. I woke up later than usual (8:00am) and on my usual brainstorming ride over to the coffee shop, my mind was quiet. Aside from the thoughts of all I needed to accomplish today, I couldn’t think of one solid theme or idea that I could turn into 700 words. This paragraph that I’ve wasted consists of only 75. I’ve got it, I will create six more 100 word paragraphs, completely unrelated, or possibly identical. Who knows. Six more words I have to type.

My mother hosted my 38th annual birthday party on Friday night. It wasn’t my actual birthday, which is tomorrow, but it was nice to get a good portion of the family together and actually be able to celebrate any part of my life. I’ll be turning 38, which is closer to 40 than I’d prefer, but I don’t often think I look or act my age, so I have that going for me. Back to the party: we had lasagna, hummus, various crackers and snacks, and of course cake. Afterwards I went to the gym with my cousin to burn.

Speaking of the gym, I seem to go through phases when it comes to wanting to go. With the new job, being on my feet so much, it’s incredibly difficult to want to run, which I have really cut down to about once per week. Once is still more than I like running, but not what I should be doing to feel healthy. I love being able to eat as much as I want of anything I see, and running made that possible. I still lift nearly every day, but that just doesn’t quite have the same effect as cardio.

One time, Mike Tambornino and I tried to blow up the cliff that overhangs the Mississippi river at a place we referred to simply as “The Monument” which is at the west most end of Summit Avenue in St. Paul. His father was a pyrotechnics expert, who put on shows all over the state like the Taste of Minnesota, and he stored large amounts of high-explosives in his attic. We made a bomb by putting black powder and magnesium into a coffee can and using a couple rolls of duct tape to pressurize it. It was loud, but didn’t work.

The team that I played for yesterday in a softball tournament did not do very well. All we had to do was win one to stay alive. All we couldn’t do was lose the first two, which we did. The first game was a perfect example of how you should not play the game. We scored zero points, and the collaborative effort of the whole defense was one big error. The second game was close; a real pitcher’s duel. We went into extra innings tied 2-2, whereupon we fell apart and gave up five runs, forever sealing our fate. Word.

Tomorrow I go back to the laminating factory for the first time in nearly three weeks. It’s only for a few days. I’m actually pretty grateful that I have that to fall back on, because my schedule is pretty spotty at Levy for the next month or so. Without the laminating, I wouldn’t be able to pay my bills and surely I would end up homeless or selling my body for science or even worse, selling a kidney on the black market. Are you still reading this nonsense? I apologize, but you will have to endure just one more story.

I was unique as a drinker. On more than a few occasions, I was able to drink past blackout, come around to sanity, and continue on drinking throughout the night and into day, at which point I could keep drinking to a steady buzz. Yep, I could stay up all night on alcohol, without the use of cocaine or meth. More often than not, it would get me in some sort of trouble including something that has aptly been named “The Vincident” because of the gravity of the situation I alone created while on an all-nighter. But that’s another story.


And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...