Saturday, October 22, 2016

Sharp



My general fear of needles was overridden by the fear of having them in my house, that’s the only reason I could think of that I would be holding so many of them. They were in drawers, cupboards, and in the hands of addicts who were plunging their misery deep within their veins. A number of them appeared to be covered in something sticky which I determined to be battery acid, but when I woke up, I had the thought that it might be heroin. My twisted sheets revealed a sinister contortion of movements while my brain was portraying a vision of my biggest fear, needles.

That’s how I spent the last few moments of slumber this morning. I planned to write a whole post in dream sequence, but the memories faded within minutes, and I thought of something even more terrifying, reality.

Just after I started using meth for the second period in my life, I had offered up my home as a temporary shelter for two women who were both in need of a place to stay. They were both users and they both had children. One of them, I knew, was a needle user. I explained to her my almost irrational fear of spikes, and said that under no circumstances would the use of them be tolerated under my roof. Meth addicts are always very responsible, and follow the rules, so I knew I had nothing to fear.

It was within a week that I spotted the first evidence. I found the bright orange cap to a syringe sitting right on top of the trash can, and I had a minor panic attack because I couldn’t see the rest of it. There was nobody at home at the time, so I spent the morning looking around for further indication of their use, but found none.

Time marched on, and I started using more, and gradually became accustomed to finding the occasional wrapper or discarded plastic covers and what-not. I guess we make a lot of exceptions as addicts, and I figured since nobody was getting hurt, it was ok.

These two women brought me nothing but trouble. One was a drug dealer who used none of her profit to help out with bills. The other, a terribly abusive mother who did nothing all day and left her child alone in a high-chair in front of the T.V. while she sat in her room getting high. The latter would bring over equally awful friends who would also contribute nothing, and add to the general chaos that was becoming a flop house. In a way, I was trapped. I had to allow all of this because I had no other source at the time for my drugs; if I kicked them out, I wouldn’t be able to get high anymore. Slowly I became withdrawn from the scene by hiding in my room. I was a prisoner in my own home.

I awoke one morning to find that I was once again alone in my huge apartment in Fountain. I walked up and down the hall enjoying the quiet. I walked into the bathroom and on the second step, I felt something enter the arch of my foot with great precision. It didn’t really hurt, but it was stuck so I turned on the light for further diagnosis. When I saw the syringe sticking out of the bottom of my foot, I gasped. My stomach was turning over in an effort to purge only bile, as I hadn’t eaten for days. I was so afraid I didn’t even want to pull it out for fear of touching it. I sat down on the toilet and tears welled up in my eyes. I wasn’t sad, I was angry and full of hate, and I wanted so badly to muster the courage to pull that fucking thing out of the depths of the softest part of my flesh. And I did it, and I threw it against the wall as blood began to trickle down to the floor. Bile crept up as far as it could without breaking the levee, and I swallowed it back. It was over, but now there were new fears.

Who had left a needle in the middle of the floor? Did they have A.I.D.S.? Do I have A.I.D.S.? Fuck.

That’s what I remember from the incident, I may have blocked the rest out, or simply forgotten. I’ve gone over my word limit which may also account for the abrupt ending. I don’t have A.I.D.S.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...