Saturday, October 8, 2016

834 Days Later



It’s been 834 days since I walked into the courtroom, strung out on meth, knowing that my life would forever change. 834 days that I’ve been under the care, custody, and supervision of the Minnesota Department of Corrections, some of which assuredly seemed longer than others. 834 days of learning, making mistakes, fixing a lot of those mistakes, and moving on.

Today is my last of 395 days of house arrest on I.S.R. Tonight is my last curfew, and tomorrow (provided I get the phone call authorizing me to do so) I will be free from these severe restrictions.

Some slices of life seem to go by fast. And as you look back, you wonder where the time went. This last year and a month has not been one of those pieces of pie. I’m not going to take up this post reflecting on what I’ve already written and done, that would be redundant. I’m going to attempt to predict the future with knowledge that I already have.

I used to think that I could control squirrels with my mind. As it turns out, me and squirrels just have the same sort of idea of what squirrels should be doing most of the time. One thing I have become keenly aware of is the fact that I cannot control my obsession over alcohol and drugs using only my mind. It’s kind of like the squirrel theory; every now and then the squirrel zigs when I think it should have zagged, and although it’s not what I wanted, and it leaves me slightly confused, it still makes sense to a part of my brain.

Last week at my new job, the head chef was standing in front of a mixing bowl filled with flour, and beside the bowl were four bottles of Summit Pale Ale. I approached and asked him what he was making and he replied, “beer bread.” Very quickly my mind took the scene to another dimension by fantasizing about him offering me a drink off of one of the bottles, and at that very moment, my brain said that if he offered, I would be so inclined. Of course, he didn’t offer, and in a split second the sudden urge was gone. But what if a split second had been different? What if he handed me a beer during that one little zig?

It’s these little urges that have been my downfall more than a handful of times throughout my life, and these are very specifically what I need to be able to cope with if I am to have any measure of success in life.



By continuing to routinely attend meetings, and work with my sponsor (ok maybe more than I have been lately) I put myself at an advantage over my powerlessness. It’s never full-on domination--the Twins beat the Yankees every now and then—but the more work I do to fight the Devil inside my head, the better my chances for long-term success become.

This is all really boring, and I feel as if I’ve written that paragraph so many times in so many different forms that you, the reader, might just fast-forward through it or not let the true message sink in, but it’s very important that I be repetitive in my efforts to combat this dysfunction of my brain. I hope I still keep you interested in my life in recovery. I know that the bad stuff is always more entertaining, but I just don’t want to go back out there and experience any more of it. I’m done. Well, for today, anyhow.

So, I’m not out of the system completely, yet. I’m still on parole for another two years, but it will be far less restrictive, including the right to leave the state, and to stay out past 10:30pm if I so desire. I will still have to take random drug tests, and meet bi-weekly with my parole agent, but I won’t live in constant fear of being sent back to prison for being late or missing a phone call. I can still go back if I repeatedly break rules, or start drinking or doing drugs again. They can revoke my parole if I choose to commit a new crime, but that’s really about it. And those things are what I believe I really have a handle on.

It’s 10:41am and I need to start getting ready for a long day at the Xcel Center. The Wild are playing tonight so I have about ten hours on my feet ahead of me. I am so grateful to be able to say that, along with a handful of other things I couldn’t say about myself 834 days ago. Things are lookin’ good.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...