Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Robbery (Jobs Part3)



We picked what was always the slowest part of every night for our respective businesses. We decided the best thing to do was to rob his gas station because there weren’t any cameras, and the lighting was poor in every direction. It was easy, and it was fast.

It was 3am and I left my job to walk a block down $*%&@$# Avenue to where my friend worked in a little island of a gas station. We had everything planned well in advance, so all I had to do was walk by and he had everything ready for me. It was in a bag, so I grabbed it and left. All that was said was “I’ll give you a minute”, which meant I had a minute to get back to work before he called the police. When he did, he simply told them he had been held up by a black man with a revolver and he took all of the cash and some cartons of cigarettes, and headed down the opposite direction of me.

Sitting on my stool behind the register, I watched a number of police cruisers rush by and out of view. I knew where they were going. The story he gave them had been rehearsed for days and it worked. He even threw a carton of smokes out on the street in the direction that the alleged assailant had run off in. He said that a man in a mask approached the small window and inserted a gun. He demanded all of the cash from the register and the ground safe, which could easily be seen by any customer. He obliged, for he was in fear of his life. The robber then commanded him to hand over all of the Marlboro Reds, however non-stereotypical of a black man, and he then fled.

My friend was a good liar—actor. He later said he was trembling when he was telling the story to the police, and they never suspected a thing. Shortly after I got back, a police officer stopped in my work and asked if I’d seen anybody suspicious around. I claimed that half an hour earlier, a man had come up to the door wearing a mask, but the door doesn’t open without my remote buzzer and he took off in a Southern direction down the street. He then told me that another station just down the street had been robbed at gunpoint. I told him I knew the guy that worked there and was he okay? He told me he was shaken up, but otherwise just fine. He left.

Two hours later, my replacement came to take over for the morning shift. I closed out my register, grabbed my backpack, and walked home. When I arrived, my friend was waiting with a big smile on his face. We split up the loot, and laughed about the incident. I’ve never spoken of this incident to anybody, ever. And I decided to let it out because the statute of limitations is up on it. So, there ya go.

I’m keeping this one short, as I am off for a run. Until next time!

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...