Saturday, March 19, 2016

Jobs Part 1



A goal of mine in recovery is to never be fired again. Nearly every job I’ve had since I was 15 years old has resulted in my termination due to theft, noncompliance, general malfeasance, or sometimes I would simply never show up again. In this post, I am going to attempt to recall every job I’ve ever had, followed by a brief description of why I no longer work there. This could be interesting, and it could drum up some material for future posts. So, here we go!

15 years old, Miami Subs on the corner of Snelling and University in St. Paul. It was my first job, and I loved working there. I didn’t have a taste for theft yet, so I earned my money the hard way. It was Summer time and my friend Nathan and I were given the opportunity to work as many hours as possible, which we did. Suddenly, the owners came to us one night and asked us to work overnight closing down the restaurant and loading all of the equipment onto a van. It was over after a few short months, but we came back a few nights later, broke in and stole all of the cigarettes from the vending machine (they had those back in the 1900’s) and committed several acts of vandalism. Next!
Shortly after that, Nathan and I were offered jobs at Burger King on Fry and University, also in St. Paul. I would be there for a long time. I worked there through the trial phase of many drugs, including acid which I somehow managed to do during many shifts there. I recall that my job usually entailed being the order taker at the drive through which was expedited through a speaker box mounted on the wall. I can see the colours pouring out of it now along with the distorted voices expressing their thoughts on condiments and choice of beverage. More than a few times I couldn’t take it and burst out laughing. My coworker was clueless and I’m sure put it off in his mind as business ensued. The two main bosses both smoked pot and we got along just fine. Slowly but surely, all of the cool people left and I decided to quit. I stole a lot of money from them but was never questioned or caught.

Briefly after that I worked at a Taco Bell. Nothing exciting there. I quit.

I was now 16 years old, and getting sick of school. I joined the O.J.T. (On the Job Training) program at Central High in St. Paul, and was given a job at Liberty State Bank as a mail room clerk, and a security guard. I went in stoned every day after barely making it through half a day at school. But somehow I managed to hang on for a while. I sorted through mail, sent all outgoing envelopes through a cool postage machine, and then worked out in the guard shack where I smoked weed and cigarettes, and directed the occasional vehicle in and out of parking spots. It was a great job with great benefits. One of the benefits was knowing where and when the cameras were recording, and which doors had cool stuff behind them. I stole plenty of stuff off of camera. Never money of course because you just don’t fuck with a bank like that. But in the end, they found out I had recently dropped out of school and gave me a choice: Take termination with severance, or they would buy me a new laptop and I could finish my diploma online, at my own pace, and keep working there. I opted for the severance. Bad choice.

17 years old, out of work and kicked out of the house for the first time. I moved in with a friend and his parents, and shortly thereafter began my dealings with the various hardware stores in the St. Paul area fixing windows and screens, gaining their trust, and robbing them blind. More on that on the next post. I have 20 more years of job experience to write about, so this may take a few posts.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...