Monday, March 7, 2016

Down at the Pawn Shop (Fort Meyers Part 3)



Or maybe we didn’t have plans. I thought day two was day three, but Seth informed me that I was, in fact, wrong. So here’s a quick snapshot of day two.

We woke up early, I think, maybe late. Somebody had somehow gotten me really drunk the night before but I was in vacation mode, so I had a beer in hand within minutes of waking up. My stupid friend made me leave my beer in the room while we went to get the free breakfast, but fortunately for me, it was there when we got back.

We decided early on that the most effectual mode of conveyance for our trip would be bicycle. That’s like a unicycle but with two wheels, and one less wheel than a tricycle. So we set about town looking for good deals at pawn shops. The plan was to buy them cheap, and either throw them away or sell them cheaper when we left. Unfortunately, in Fort Meyers pawn shops, nothing on two wheels sold for under $300. We walked and walked and happened upon a little hole in the wall place that had little more than counter tops but had a sign that said pawn. Inside we were confused, but decided to ask the men working if they knew a good place to rent or buy a cheap bike. The guys looked at each other and said they had a bike in back that an ex-employee had left there and since we were from Minnesota, we could use it for the week. No shit? They made a copy of Seth’s license just in case, and we went to Walmart to buy a bike which we would return in a week. I don’t remember why we didn’t do that in the first place.

So, problem solved. All I remember from the rest of that day is having a hard time finding an actual liquor store, and seeing an awesome one-man band across the alley who started off with Badfish by Sublime, one of my favorites. Oblivion. Spent $$$ Ugh.

Woke up again, possibly by room service, maybe by alarm, I don’t recall too clearly. Somehow, somewhere, we decided we would go to the batting cages that we heard the players used. Later we would see the real ones they used, at the stadium, but it sounded good. We wanted to throw and hit some balls around. Now it was early when we left, but we had at least a ¾ buzz on and I was intent on hitting a homerun that day.

We arrived at the establishment and staggered through the doors, giddy, and excited to show off our skills. The place was empty, save for an employee. We approached the desk and inquired of the prices. I had a way of speaking but not exhaling toward people that I used a lot in those days so he wouldn’t think I was hammered drunk, but my sloppy speech probably gave it away. Either way, it was $20 for 20 minutes. We asked if we could pitch to each other, and he awkwardly nodded. We donned helmets, and got to it.

Now, with a Wiffle ball, I have pretty good control. When we played campground baseball, I would throw my curveball right at his head and it would be perfect every time. Strike. Of course, a hit is considered a strike. Anyhow, following that logic, I threw roughly 20 pitches exactly at his head. I made no adjustments, nor did I think I was doing anything wrong. I was legit confused that my curveball wasn’t working. I gave up. My turn to bat. Seth had more of a “just go for it” approach to pitching. I believe I was hit in the front leg three times before a pitch came that I could hit, which I missed. I think all told, I had one hit that maybe dribbled a hundred feet. But we laughed and had a great time.

Again, I have no memories of the rest of that day but I’m sure it involved Stevie Tomato’s and possibly the El Fuego challenge. I woke up out of a bit of a blackout and people were cheering for me and I was eating the hottest fucking chicken wings I had had to that point in my life. Seth could probably tell that story better than I because I think he may have witnessed it with abstemious eyes.

Whatever happened that night, I knew the next day was going to be the beginning of the best of our time there. We were going to go see the Minnesota Twins play preseason ball.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...