Friday, March 18, 2016

Close Encounter



I drove to a gravel road where I met up with her to drive her in her car to the Government Center to have her monthly parole meeting. When I parked in the lot, she looked around and grabbed a small bottle from her purse. It was a 5-Hour Energy bottle that had been emptied, rinsed out, filled with urine from a sober friend, and then carefully sealed with aluminum foil so it could easily be pierced when the time came to pee. She placed that contraption in her vagina, and I was very grateful at that moment that I didn’t have to put one of those in my urethra. She walked in, and I never saw her again. That was two years ago.

I waited in that parking lot for two hours before I mustered the courage to leave with her car. We weren’t dating at the time, but she was the closest thing I had to a girlfriend before I went to prison. When I drove away, my nerves were shot. The paranoia involved with meth is incredible, and I wondered if maybe she had told the cops that I had a bunch of meth with me, which I did.

I drove around the corner and gathered my thoughts. I wanted to snoop through her car to see if I could find anything incriminating, and the plan would then be to drive it back to the station and abandon it. Well, that didn’t quite work out.

What I did was drive about 20 miles back to where I had parked my vehicle on the gravel road, drove up a little farther over the horizon where I thought I couldn’t be seen, and parked. Rifling through shit is a favorite pastime of many a meth addict. And this car was full of shit. I really don’t know what it was that I was looking for, but I would never find it. I dug through everything, and I had a blast doing it. I was there for an hour before I gave up, and I hopped back in and drove away.

Less than a hundred feet into my journey, absolutely out of nowhere, a Sherriff’s S.U.V. pulled up directly in front of me and twirled his cherries. He blocked my way, so I was stuck. Only then did I realize I was clutching a huge bag of meth in my hand. Slowly, oh so slowly, I hid the bag under my leg. He was out of his vehicle and walking briskly toward me. I had no idea what to do or say, but it would come to me.

He asked what I was up to and I explained that my girlfriend never came out of her parole meeting and I was sober and was up here looking for evidence that she had been using which would explain her disappearance, but I didn’t find anything so I was leaving. He stared into my eyes, and for whatever fucking reason, he seemed to buy what I was selling. He took my D.L. and headed back to his truck.

I had been up for days. I had over an ounce of meth just out of his sight, pills in my pocket, thousands in cash, and no insurance. But he didn’t ask for insurance. I gave him no probable cause to ask me to get out of the vehicle. And when he came back he told me that the girl had, in fact, been taken into custody but he didn’t know why. And then he said those magical words, “You’re free to go, Sir.”

I was prone to being stopped by the police when I was out dealing drugs. Probably my odds were increased by the fact that I was out and about most of every day and night. Also driving well over the posted speed limit in cars that warranted attention even while sitting still got me pulled over a few times. Yet every time I was questioned, I remained perfectly calm, and I made no sudden movements. And each time I was let go without so much as a ticket. I don’t know why I got so lucky for so long, but I’m glad I no longer push it like I used to.  

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...