Sunday, March 20, 2016

Jobs Part 2

This is the second in a series of posts that starts here.



It’s a look into my past as an employee of so many jobs, I may not be able to recall them all. I believe I left off at the end of my tenure at Liberty State Bank, and started fixing windows and screens and doing various other duties at hardware stores across St. Paul.

For some reason I had a knack for fixing broken since my teenage years. Although I’ve never considered myself to be mechanically inclined, I knew my way around a torch, putty knife, and a dull pizza cutter. Those were the main tools in window and screen repair and I became quite good at it. I was also good at sneaking goods out the back door, and modifying prices for my friends on S&K tools, a very high end brand. I made enough money to not need the supplemental income, but it was the thrill of the thing that got me. And as it would turn out, I wasn’t actually very good at stealing because it’s how I lost the next three jobs. Maybe not outright, but in some way, I was let go with the implication that things were coming up missing and I had to go. So I moved on.

One quick story from an Ace Hardware. I worked in the basement, and one day a kid started there as his first job ever. It was the day of a glass shipment and it all had to be carried from a truck outside, to the basement where it sat upright and sideways on shelves, the glass sticking out about an inch. It came wrapped in cardboard so it wasn’t sharp until it was opened and put on those shelves, but it was very heavy. On his very first trip downstairs, on his very first day, in his very first job, this poor kid stumbled just a bit and brushed his hand against the shelf while he was carrying a heavy, awkward box. And that was his very last day. The back of his hand was completely gone. Blood flowed freely onto the ground and I laughed as we both stared at the massive wound because I thought somebody was playing a joke on me. I could see every white bone, and every spurt of blood as he tried to move his curled fingers. I told him to get to my car and I pushed him up the stairs and threw him in the passenger seat. He was crying, and I was stark white as I’ve always had an aversion to blood. I drove down the streets like a madman, blowing red lights and using the opposing lane, and I got him to the E.R. in less than five minutes, certainly quicker than calling for an ambulance and waiting.

I’ve never been that seriously injured, but I’ve cut at least four of my fingers down to the bone with razor blades while working with screens. I also had an individual piece of screen wire imbed itself all the way under my fingernail. Pulling it out dropped me, and I awoke to the manager telling me I needed to find different work. There were too many suspicious things going on with me around. I think he thought I had passed out from drugs.

I don’t believe it exists anymore, but there used to be a gas station, a 76, on the corner of Concordia and Snelling in St. Paul. Well, as an 18-year-old kid, I worked the overnight shift in what was then a pretty dangerous part of town, possibly because I contributed so much to the local crime effort. I’ve hinted before at a daring heist I pulled off with a friend of mine, and I think I’ll share that….. In my next post J
I did figure out how to syphon money from the gas tanks, figuratively, as I would  be allowed a certain number of drive-offs per night. Things weren’t-t prepay back then, and they didn’t want me to confront anybody stealing gas at 3:00am. Well, I made up more that my share of drive-offs and pocketed the cash. But still that wasn’t enough to satisfy my thirst for money. I had to do a robbery.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...