Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Here's the Thing

It's not something that I've just noticed, I've known it for years and I really saw it in action last night. Like an epiphany, or like somebody just taking a dump on the dinner table when you're eating- you really notice it.

People in AA/NA in general aren't married. Of course that's not a blanket statement- I've seen one or two wedding rings in my day- but the vast majority of old timers that I see, including my sponsor, seem to have no significant other in their lives.

I was sitting at a table with 20 fellow recovering alcoholics last night and the trend was obvious, not one ring! My whole life save for a couple drunken years I've been single and now the very thing that is supposed to save my life might also doom me to a solo career in love. I am not okay with this!

What is it about me that makes women pass me up? Well, currently I suppose it's the fact that I'm 37 years old, just got out of prison, and I live with my mother. Shit, don't tell anybody that. Recently I had the thought that it would be great if my mom had dementia that way I could tell people I live here to take care of her, and that's why she's in that corner chair eating canned fake duck meat, but I don't want to lie.

What is it about AA's that seem so undesirable? We're people that are bettering ourselves and society! We're happy, joyous, and free. And super annoying. I see it every time I go out with them. We're the table that only wants water, but we need lemon. We want the free bread, but not everybody at the table ordered food. One woman actually did order a pop but the waitress didnt specify that they served Pepsi products and she talked about it for the next hour. I ordered pop and food and I didn't eat bread or utilize lemons. Maybe it's because of my food service background that I'm so critical of how people act at a table.

Where the hell am I going with this? I don't know. I'm scared that I might end up alone. That may be my biggest fear. I want a companion to share my life with, and I just don't know if I'll ever find her. Where are you? Do I already know you? Did I not noticec you?

I don't really know how to tie this post together to make any kind of a point. Please comment if you think we should date :-)

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...