Thursday, January 21, 2016

Bowling

It had been a while since I'd donned the oddly colored and patterned shoes (and now made with real Velcro™) and made my way down to the floor of a bowling alley, but I made it all happen last night. I was worried that I may have forgotten my form because of my lenghthy absence from the bowling world. I consider myself semi-professional in the sport because I generally participate in it on alternating years. To my knowledge I've have not bowled sober since I was a kid.

My form is unique in my opinion. When I release the ball, I like to freeze with one leg on the ground and the other sort of bent and behind me, and I try very hard to balance that way until the ball hits the pins. I succeeded in doing this twice, not bad I thought. The other times I awkwardly stumbled off to the right where my momentum was going, or simply turned around because I knew the stupid ball was off course, surely due to a knot in the wood on the floor.

I should mention that this outing was another fellowship adventure after my Wednesday night meeting. There were only five of us, but I think it's safe to say that we had a good time. I bowled a 152 which is pretty damned good for me, and I won two prizes from the prize claw game. Not the hard one, but the one where the claw actually grabs things because they are worth far less than the 50¢ I have put in the machine. Can you believe in this era of moving pictures and automobiles that they still manufacture plastic things with such little value? I also did very poorly at a game in which me and my teammate shot plastic guns at various African wildlife on a screen. I kept being disqualified for shooting too many cows but I figure they would be better for meat than the lions and giraffes that the game wanted us to shoot.

Once again, it all ended too quickly for me and as soon as we left, I was excited for next week. Not every day can be as fun as I want it to be. It's nice to have something to look forward to consistently, and its a good feeling getting to know people a little better every week. It makes me comfortable around them, and maybe that will start to happen in other places and situations.

On another note, I've been getting more and more readers from far away places. I hope you continue to read and if you like what you see here, and if you haven't already, you should start at the beginning. This is where my writing began about 19 months ago. I've come a long way since then, and you can read the whole transformation of my life from that point on.

Please share this or the other blog with anybody you know whose life may be affected by addiction. Some people don't like talking about it but I can assure you that writing has helped me more than any treatment center ever has. And sometimes reading a story that one can relate to just might be the thing that makes them think there are other options out there.

That's all I've got for today.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...