Sunday, August 21, 2016

Quandary 16



Driver didn’t like the way I was talking to him but I didn’t care, I was well beyond that. It wasn’t a good idea to prod him any further right now, though, there would be plenty of time for that later. I got out of my car and as I walked around to the other side of his car, I swallowed the capsules. It wouldn’t be long before I had nerves of steel.

He asked me what he wanted him to do when we got there. I had slipped on the janitor’s coveralls when I got in his car and I told him he needed to stay really close to the building because I would be in and out in under a minute. He just kept nodding. I flipped down the visor and took one last look in the mirror. I looked like a completely different person, this disguise would work.

It seemed like just a few seconds and I could see the bus station ahead of us. Driver looked at me and said, “Are you ready?” I looked at him dead in his eyes and smiled. “Are you?”

I pointed to the side of the building where I wanted him to wait. We drove right into the parking lot and he stopped. I didn’t hesitate getting out and turned back to him and said, “Fucking stay here and keep this thing running!” I slammed the door and walked briskly toward the entrance.

I walked through the doors and this time there was only one employee and no customers. Perfect. I could tell she had questions for me because I was sloppily dressed as an employee but I strolled right by the desk and headed for the lockers. She said something but I ignored her. I found the locker that had the same number as my key and I opened it up to find everything as I had left it. I took out the case and walked right back toward the door.

“Sir, can I help you?
“No ma’am!” I smiled.
“Uh, do you work here?”
“Yes!” I beamed. And I walked out the door.

As soon as I was out of view of the inside, I started running toward the car. Driver saw me and put it in gear. I hopped inside and we took off. Me calling him Driver notwithstanding, he really was a good driver. He had complete control of the 300 as we sped off toward the interstate. I realized that we wouldn’t be going to his house because I was conscious and in the passenger seat. My only hope was that we would make it to wherever Goggles and Dumpy were so I could kill them all. We drove on in the darkness.

I fumbled around the briefcase looking for the handle and the hasps. I slowly and silently clicked them open and opened the case only enough to get my hand inside. I felt the steel barrel of the revolver and carefully pulled it out of the case. Driver was focused on the road and didn’t seem to be paying much attention to me. That was good for him; he would live a little bit longer.

I was thinking about his thoughts, and wondering if anything in him was telling him that he had already eaten his last meal, and was only going to take one more shit. I laughed out loud when I knew that he was going to shit his pants soon. Driver looked over at me. I just smiled at him.

I asked him, “So, where are we going and when can I go the fuck home?”
“We’re going to meet the other two, count the money, and bring you back to wherever you need to go. But, we have to put you in the trunk again, I’m just being honest.”
I hung my head. I hoped I looked disappointed. “Great. Can I stay awake this time?”
“I’ll say something.” He said compassionately.

So, obviously I couldn’t go into the trunk and risk them looking in the case. So, wherever we were going, was where it was all going down. And I realized quickly that it was all going to happen in about a minute as we exited the highway and approached a gravel road where there was a car parked. And there they were, Goggles and Dumpy, wearing the same clothes they were the last time I had seen them. They didn’t know it, but they were about to die.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...