Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Lately



Some of you are probably wondering where the rest of my fictional story is. Well, here’s the scoop: My original plan was to include it as the outro for the E-Book which is going to consist of the first year of the original blog. Well that plan seems to be on hiatus for now, so I will get to typing this weekend. I’d like to have it all written and done with so I can continue on with the main purpose of the blog.

I’ve been working on myself through work with my sponsor in the Big Book lately. Recently, we read through steps 7-11, which include everybody’s favorites 8&9. The time has come for me to start making amends for my past actions and behaviors. At the very least it appears to be an intimidating task, but in reality, it’s actually supposed to be quite fulfilling when done properly. As with every other step in this program, it is constantly in the works once it is started.

What happens when I go to each individual will remain private. For the most part, especially with family, I already know what’s coming. I’ve spent the last 11 months getting to know my family again, and that’s all I need to keep doing to repair things. It’s a living amend. I’m repairing the damage done with every day of hard work in my recovery. It’s not just staying sober, although that’s a big part. It’s continuing my work in the program, and making forward progress. I’ve been doing all of that, now it’s time to make it formal.

The 9th step says “We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.” I am included in the others. What that means is that I cannot put myself or anybody else in harm’s way in order to make my amends. There are people out there that probably never want to see me again, people everywhere that I never want to see again, and a few that are dead. Going to seek out somebody actively living in the meth world would be very dangerous for me. There’s far too much risk there. If, someday, some people enter the rooms of recovery, I can approach the subject then, but not before. The only thing that matters in these cases is that I am willing.

There are ex-employers to whom I owe substantial amounts of money. In some cases, they may hold resentments toward me, and going to admit my guilt could lead them to press charges against me, which of course is not a productive use of an amend. My sponsor says that in these cases, it is necessary to wait until the statute of limitations runs out, until I make contact. Even then they may want nothing to do with me, but it is important that I try.

When I was sober from 2001-2006ish, I stopped working the program before I ever got to this point. Even though I remained sober for years after I stopped, I believe this is specifically why I ended up spiraling out of control. I didn’t try to fix anything before I moved forward. This time around, I realize how important it is to fix the past, to fix what is broken. The title of this blog has its roots in step nine.

When my sponsor and I finished up my fifth step, he asked me my definition of success. I was stumped. He gave me an assignment: Define success. He gave me a few ideas of what to look for, and agreed I would write something up. I did some research and wrote a page, front and back, and I thought I did an okay job. A couple days later, he gave me an envelope with a few motivational sayings. One of these really stuck out to me. I carry it with me and will do so when I’m making my amends, because the words are beautiful. In a sentence, Ralph Waldo Emerson describes what I want my life to be. I think these words are so beautiful because they are so simple and true.

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of the intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the beauty in others; to leave the world a bit better wether (sic) by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that one life hath breathed easier because you lived here. This is to have succeeded.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

I’ve said before that I try to be a good person, even when I think nobody is looking. Well these are new words to live by. This next phase of my life that began when I read through the ninth step in the Big Book will be a test of all of these characteristics. It will be a test that never ends, and that I cannot ever give up on. Good night.


And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...