Saturday, August 13, 2016

Just the Tip



Well, I couldn’t type that last post without continuing the thought. Here’s a question, where do the tip jars stop? I went to Diet Dairy Queen the other day and they had a tip jar out. They had tip jars at every food truck I’ve seen recently. When was the assumption made that all foodservice workers now needed to be tipped? It’s got to be ruining the averages for front of the house (wait staff).

There’s a reason you tip a server. And it’s not because they don’t make much money. It’s because they provide a service for you, and they have to put up with you. Trust me, you’re rude. They bring your food to you, listen to you complain, and clean up after you. They bring you free lemons, and free bread. And they smile when your children and your adults make huge messes. That’s why we tip them; they’re providing a service that you cannot provide yourself.

It’s different at a coffee bar, or a food truck. I don’t understand why we have to tip everybody now. Why should I pay you extra for doing your job? Last week I went to Hazelfest, and all eight food trucks had tip jars. Now, I tip everybody in foodservice because I’ve been on the front lines. But, why should the average person give somebody extra money? Did they go out of their way to make your life easier? Or did they simply wrap your hot dog in wax paper and a napkin, and hand it to you to bring over to the condiment cart to put your own toppings on? Probably the second one. If that’s the case, I think there should be a jar that I can take a dollar out of. If they aren’t getting paid enough, they should speak with management, not leave it up to the poor sap that just paid $8 for a fucking hot dog.

The point I’m going to make, is that tip jars are ruining customer service in America. There, I said it. I said that I tip everywhere I see a tip jar, so don’t listen to any of this, but I believe the tip jar has lowered the average tip to wait staff- the only people deserving of a tip- and thus lowered quality of service. I have not been to a restaurant with great or better service one time in the past eleven months. Every place I go it’s that same song. It seems like they just expect to get tipped now and they don’t actually want to work for it. The server last time I went to Green Mill didn’t even smile. Not once. And I tipped him 22%. So it’s my fault that the next table gets the same treatment.

What’s the point? I guess it’s just me going on a tirade. But I think I need to put a stop to this nonsense. I’m poor. I can’t afford to tip everybody anymore, so I have to draw a line and I ask you to do the same. Save your money for a good server, and tip them big. ALWAYS leave something for every server, because they have to clean up your mess. But if they have a shit attitude, tip them what they deserve. And if a barista want’s a tip for pouring you a cup of coffee, make them do a trick or tell a joke. Otherwise pocket that change, and save it for somebody who really does something for you.

Remember this, waitresses and waiters make less than minimum wage. Most other workers that have their tip jars out do not. It’s their way of getting more money out of their job, often without the consent of their employers.

If everybody started tipping the right people for the correct reason, customer service in the restaurant industry could make a comeback. Now, give me a dollar for writing this post.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...