Thursday, August 4, 2016

Mixed tape 4

My taste in music has changed since my release. Ever since I started supporting MPR, specifically the Current, I have actually really started to enjoy what is referred to as Indie or Alternative music. I hated the Alternative of the '90's. Every time Smashing Pumpkins or Green Day came on the air, I wanted to kill puppies. I refrained, but I hope you get what I'm saying. Shit, I didn't even like Nirvana until a few years ago.

So here's some of what I've really enjoyed listening to over the past few months, it's all better heard with headphones because a phone speaker simply doesn't do music any justice. Enjoy.

First up: Alt-J, Left Hand Free. I like the drums, it reminds me of Ringo. The bass line is pretty catchy, too.

Possibly my favorite voice in any modern voice, Alabama Shakes is creeping up on being one of my overall favorite choices for music. Hold On is on the top of my list followed byYou Ain't Alone. I picked the live version for the second song because there's a lot of passion to be seen there. These are very talented artists.

There's Work Song by Hozier, a band that would ordinarily scare me off because of the religious undertones in a lot of their music, but the quality is up there musically  so I thought I should share it.

Now, these bands and songs may not be new to you, and maybe they play them on the mainstream stations all the time, I simply wouldn't know. Hopefully this is new stuff to a few of you.

Awolnation plays a few songs I like including Sail. So there's that.

And now I'd like to share a few songs that my friend Mike Tambornino listened to during what should have been our high school years and into our late teens. We were huge fans of Alice in Chains. We especially liked Over Now, and would routinely play it over and over. I couldn't get this version out of my head at Mike's memorial service, possible because of the intro.

Another one we loved was Possum Kingdom by the Toadies. It's possibly the only song that exists that I've heard under the influence of ever drug I've ever done. It was strange to see this video on YouTube because it made me realize I never had access to cable TV while I was going through many phases of my life and I had never seen who was actually singing it. Weird.

And last, but not least, here's another depressing but great some we listened to repeatedly River of Deceit by Mad Season. I think it's a beautiful song  and I will think of Mike every time I hear it.


And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...