Sunday, May 22, 2016

Summer's Here



Yesterday I kicked off my summer officially by throwing what I hope to be the first of many outdoor cookouts. I hadn’t actually decided to do it until Friday when I was at work and the urge to grill hit me. I feel very comfortable in the command of a cooking fire. A few weeks back I had seen maybe a commercial or something at a Twins game about a Juicy Lucy stuffed with pulled pork, and I knew then that I would make one far superior.

It all started a few days ago with a pork roast I had intended to use for lunch meat. I began the roasting process on Tuesday night by chopping the appropriate vegetables and adding a little stock to a roasting pan. I seared the roast in my new cast-iron skillet until it was browned, and I added it to the mirepoix. Four hours later I took it out to chill. When I came home from work on Wednesday, I skimmed the fat off the top and continued to roast after flipping the meat. I repeated this process on Thursday, and by Friday the bone had fallen out of its own free will. I let the meat rest for about an hour and began to pull it apart. When it was all finely shredded, I added my homemade barbecue sauce and mixed it thoroughly. I let the mixture sit overnight in a sealed container to allow the flavors to marry, and it was done. That was only the beginning.

Making a Juicy Lucy properly is no easy task. You don’t want the middle to fall out, so it is necessary to take some time and handle with care. You make a ball, toss it back and forth in your hands to knock all of the air pockets out, and make a crater. You add your fillings, in this case, BBQ pork and white cheddar. Next you carefully bring the edges up and around the fillings until the whole thing looks like some horribly prolapsed……. Er, I mean it doesn’t look very appealing. And that’s when you add a little Band-Aid of beef on top and seal it all with a thin layer of water. Just dip your hand in a bowl of water and that’s plenty. Smooth out the edges, and voila! It takes anywhere from 2-3 minutes to make one, and I made roughly 26 of them with a little help from my roommate Mason at the end. The burgers alone consisted of 15 pounds of ground beef, a seven-pound pork butt (not actually from the butt but named after a container they used to be stored in.), and four pounds of cheese. We literally had enough to feed a small army. An extraordinarily small army from an unusually small country, or possibly Canada.

Oh I made two flavors of chicken, as well.

All we needed now was hungry people. I didn’t actually expect to go through all of the food, but I’d rather be 20 over than one short. Mason and I watched the Twins win their first game of the season, or at least that’s how it felt, and the first guest arrived, my aunt Connie. Slowly, but surely (and please do call me Shirley), people began to trickle in, and the grilling began.

One of my favorite things about grilling is how the smoke takes over the entire neighborhood. You could see and smell it for miles away. Another favorite is the gathering of people, sharing their lives with each other sometimes for the first and only time. I remember back to a year ago, being stuck inside the walls of a prison boot camp, or outside those walls undertaking tedious tasks and not actually being able to enjoy the weather, and sometimes not even being allowed to talk to one another at all. What a difference a year makes. Yesterday I had the freedom to do what I wanted to do, and I did it. I think I’ll do something similar every weekend this summer and see what I can get started. You’re all invited.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...