Saturday, May 21, 2016

From Willie to Bacon



I’ve had Willie over at my place for a week now. It’s been great. He seems to have caught on to who I am as he gives me that old familiar stare. I see this look in his eyes and it’s like he remembers all of those years, good and bad. He’s returned to good health after an expensive scare. The only conclusion after a battery of tests at the Vet was that he has stage two kidney failure. They said he has about a year or two left. So, that sounds about right anyhow. He’s pushing 14 so I’m not surprised that he has some sort of illness. What wasn’t explained, however, was why he was sick for two weeks. Our only theory is that he had a bad reaction to the sedative he was given for his oral surgery. I can understand that as I have also ingested Ketamine several times in my life. It took me out for a while, too. I’m bringing him back to Connie’s today or tomorrow because I know they miss him over there, but I think from now on I will have him over more often, and possibly forever after a few more visits.

I’m throwing a little bit of a cookout today at my new place. I have wanted to do this for a while and yesterday I just sort of went for it. By that I mean I posted it on the almighty Facebook, without which I would have had to send out flyers and make telephone calls to individual people, depleting my time in front of the relax-o-vision.

And speaking of T.V., I really need to get a gym membership. I did a little research on the internet, again avoiding personal communication at all costs, and I liked the looks of a little Mexican place called La Fitness which in English is The Fitness. It all looks so good from the get go, only $30 per month. I can handle that easily enough. So I type in all of my information, and not until the very last page do they tell you there’s a $99 one-time charge and you have to pay for the first and last month’s membership right now, plus tax. So, $30 goes up to about $180 right quick like, and I kindly push the “X” button in the upper right hand corner of my screen and say, “Good day.” I mean, I could have parted with the money I suppose, it really wasn’t about that, it was about making a $180 commitment vs. a $30 commitment. I really need to start getting back into shape but it requires a little work on my part that I’m not quite willing to pay for yet. The thought crossed my mind that I had everything I needed to start running again and how nice it is to run around Como Lake, and God I hate running and it’s so boring and Dairy Queen is on the way to Como Lake, and I would use less gas if I just went to Dairy Queen, and that just makes sense. I’m going green, I’m helping the environment, and I’m getting nutrients my body needs.
Exercise…Ex..Er..Cise.
…Ex..Ar..Size…
…Eggs..Are..Sides…
…For Bacon…
…Bacon…
See what I did there? I showed you how my brain works. It’s sooooo much easier to sit at home and watch T.V. while cooking bacon than it is to start exercising again. At least I can recognize that. Maybe I need to put in that $180 to make myself get into the gym a few times per week.

I’m at Nina’s Coffee shop again, as is my tradition for Saturday mornings, and there’s a couple standing maybe three feet in front of me at a newspaper rack and although they probably don’t see it, to me it appears that they’re spying on me over the top of their respective papers, like in a bad movie or cartoon. I’m not paranoid, merely observing. And they’re gone.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...