Saturday, May 7, 2016

How Cavalier



So clearly it was an outright lie I told about the follow by email link being fixed. I thought I had it figured out, but alas, I was wrong. At this point I think it’s safe to say that I don’t really know what I’m doing when it comes to technology. Here’s an example.

For the past few months, the turn signals in my car have slowly but surely failing to stay on. I’ll flip the switch, you know, left or right, and sometimes I’ll get a blink or two or maybe even fifteen out of them, and then they stop. I will do the same thing repeatedly until I turn, but often they will stop working altogether. I am not a fan of cars that fail to signal turns, and I am, for the most part, now one of “those people.” It got pretty bad in the last week so I went to an auto parts store to purchase a turn signal relay, which is what the internet told me the most likely problem was.

Auto Zone is a nifty little place filled with things I will never understand, or at the very least never need. It was a slow Sunday afternoon when I went in but the line was slow moving. The cashier guy was friendly and helpful, and he even let me watch as he searched for my part on his computer. I bought the relay for $17 and that was two weeks ago.

Even according to the internet, it is impossible to find the little box on a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier (Ladies, I don’t usually brag, but it’s got an AM/FM radio.) and I have looked absolutely everywhere. I’ve opened up the steering column, looked in and around the fuse box, and under the hood. It simply does not exist with the tools I own to unearth car things.

At this point I decided it wasn’t a faulty relay, rather a bad turn signal switch. That’s the lever that sticks out of the left side on the steering column. So, again I consulted the internet, and purchased one from Amazon for $35, with free shipping from my Prime account. I didn’t do any research on how to make the modification, which is usually how things explode. So, after work on Friday (yesterday), I stopped at Walmart (go ahead and pass that up if you get the chance to go on a Friday night at about 5PM) and purchased my very first ratchet set. I went back to Walmart about an hour later to trade that ratchet set for one with metric sockets, because I foolishly assumed an American car would have standard bolts. Anywho, (I love people watching. I’m at Nina’s Coffee Shop on Selby and Western, and there is a rather portly gentleman with an ill-fitting wig in high heels and bright red lipstick standing in front of me waiting for his coffee. It’s not so much him or his attire that fascinates me, but the reaction of the people around him. But, I digress.) I get home and park in the driveway. My landlord is in the backyard watering the grass seeds he put down three weeks ago. He claims that the birds have eaten all of the seeds which makes me wonder what he’s actually watering. I begin to tear apart the steering column yet again. It looks pretty simple, and it is. There’s only one minor problem, there’s a safety feature that makes the horn honk when I remove the first bolt and a little metal piston makes contact with metal on the steering wheel. Easily enough, I disable the horn by removing the proper fuse. The switch comes out and goes back in with relative ease. I’m proud of myself.

I turn the key into the on position, and I signal a fake right turn which doesn’t have the desired effect on my landlord. I thought maybe he would duck for cover. It blinks! One, two, three, four, nothing. Fuck. Maybe I should try a left turn? Same result. It’s not a bad switch at all. I think that probably somewhere in the depths and innards of a Cavalier is a turn signal relay, they just don’t want me to find it.

I really don’t want to have to take it in, but I fear that’s the only option left. But how much will it cost for them to prod and poke and search? Too much.

Well, that’s all I’ve got for this one. If any of you who read this can fix cars, let me know.

Get out and enjoy this beautiful weather!

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...