Thursday, March 29, 2018

The House

This is the third in a series of posts that starts here.


I was at my grandparent’s house; all was quiet. I had checked all of the rooms they would normally be in that time of day and come up empty. I tried calling their landline phone because sometimes they carry the cordless with them when they move around within their assisted living community, but I heard the phone ring in the chair next to me and felt a little stupid for not seeing it. My cellphone started ringing and I thought maybe they were somehow calling me back from an unknown location, but my caller I.D. told me that it was my real-estate agent. I hurriedly swiped the green icon.

It was Wednesday evening, and I hadn’t expected a call from him at the earliest until Thursday night. In my head, I already knew that he was calling to tell me that somebody had put in a much higher offer on our house, and that I would no longer be in the running. I knew it was too good to be true, after all, this house was amazing, and it had everything we wanted. I was wrong. He was calling to inform me that the family had accepted our offer, with only a few minor amendments to the original.

He went on to explain what the sellers wanted, but all I could hear was my blood flowing. All I could think about was telling Amanda the news she had been so nervously anticipating. I was already stripping the wallpaper off the walls in the kitchen in my head when the call ended and all I gleaned from the rest of the chat was that the closing date will be May 4th. Quatro de Mayo? My phone rang again and I got to tell a friend with a trembling voice, “I got the house!” I was absolutely jubilant.

I made several calls, sent many texts, and finally found my grandparents and told them the news in person. As usual on Wednesday nights, I went to a very large meeting in St. Paul where many of my dear friends in recovery gather and shared it with them as well. I wasn’t bragging, I was telling them the outcome of over three years of hard work in recovery. I started a recent post by saying that four years ago I was sleeping in cars and on couches, I can’t forget that. These people know who I am, and they are the first ones to tell me that things are going really well for me right now, so I need to be careful.

 

Today I signed some more forms, and fielded emails from my mortgage broker and asked probably too many questions. He needs my bank statements from the last two months. Why? Will they see anything on them that will make this all go away? Have I done anything that will cost us this dream? FUCK!

Everybody on the business side of things keeps assuring me that everything is going smoothly, and I don’t have anything to be worried about. All I need to do is wait it out, review and sign forms when they come, and relax; there’s plenty of hard work ahead. Worry is hard work too, and I don’t get paid for it, so I will just sit back and relax until this house becomes our home.

 

I want to thank all of you who have sent encouraging words over the past week. I listen well, and your thoughts are still with me. This is the beginning of a fantastic journey, and I can’t wait to write my way through it all.

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...